Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod 5th Generation No front facing camera?

Just to say I am very disappointed with my recent upgrade from 4th to 5th Generation Ipod. Having been accustomed to the standard features of the Ipod 4 (ie; front and back facing cameras) I purchased what I thought would be a superior product, only to find that even though it is more expensive than the Ipod 4, it has less features. In order to get the same spec I need to upgrade further to the 32 or 64g version! Talk about extortion. Apple shold be ashamed. The Ipod was for my daughter who has just discovered Instagram and was deeply disappointed to discover she could only take selfies.. what is the point?

I am now in a position where I either have to deal with a disappointed child, or fork out another €50 for the privilidge of a back facing camera. I should have just stuck with the 4th Generation.. This has certainly put me off buying any more Apple products, it seems to be blatant money grabbing. I thought they were better than that.

Posted on May 16, 2014 4:31 AM

4 replies

May 16, 2014 4:52 AM in response to fluffyducks

I am not sure what you are talking about.

The iPod Touch 5g has everything the 4g has and more as it can be upgraed to iOS 7 and gain features unavailable in iOS 6.

The only difference between the 16GB and the 32GB & 64GB models is just that, the local storage (and apparently the available colors). Outside of that all the features and functions are exactly the same.

I am assuming that the 5g you purchased has iOS 7 pre-installed where as the 4g had iOS 6 and there is some confusion with the new iOS version.

My son also has the iPod Touch 5th generation and it has back & front facing cameras.

Open the camera app and tap the switch camera icon on the top right (Portrait) or bottom right (Landscape):

User uploaded file

UPDATE: I stand corrected. It seems the 16GB does not come with a rear facing camera but it should have a front-facing. The specs call it a FaceTime camera. I assume it is possible that the function is limited to FaceTime only.

Message was edited by: Axeman1020

May 24, 2014 5:22 AM in response to fluffyducks

Exactly, adding to it, why should an ipod be designed in such a way so that u can charge it only through a USB connected to a PC or a laptop?

Three straight forward questions to Apple:

1) If 4 th Gen ipod had both the rear and front cam, which was a little cheaper than the 5 th gen Ipod yet it has just one selfie taking VGA cam?? well VGA for a selfie pic would be fine, but what why was the rare actualy used camera removed??

Many could take it as a money making trick.

2) if a iphone can be charged through an adapter provided by apple, why can't a ipod be manufactured which can be charged with the same charger??

3) those who took a 4th gen product, they would have to compromise as the hardware might not support for newly made applications, but why is that apple doesnt let to upgrade versions like 16 to 32 or 32 to 64 even after some getting a fifth Gen product?

(i had a problem with the battery, though it would be replaced even after a long discussion, i wasn't given neither the option to upgrade even when i was willing to pay the price difference)

This wasn't expected from apple!

May 24, 2014 9:53 AM in response to fluffyducks

Hey Fluffyducks, Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Apple offered to 16G with one camera as a low cost offer for those 3 people on the planet who only wanted to take only selfies!😀 If you are within 14 days of purchase you can return this iPod to Apple and get the 32G or 64G models, each has both front and back cameras. HOWEVER, you may what to hold off on purchasing an iPod 5, I don't know when or if-- but, a new iPod MAYBE on the horizon. All other models were released in the fall of 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012. Don't know if Apple will continue the trend, but you may want to hold off on making a new purchase until this fall. But if you need a new iPod now then the iPod 5 is the latest version. Also, if you wish to contact Apple with your disappointment go to Contact Us at the bottom right of this page then to Feedback. Help this helps, Good luck. Cheers.

Ipod 5th Generation No front facing camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.