Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search function broken after update

Just downloaded the new Mavericks (10.9.3) and iTunes 11.2. The regular search function in iTunes still works (when you type in the box and it narrows down your results). I am talking about when you just type some letters in your keyboard and it jumps to the relevant place in your iTunes library (just like in Finder or anywhere else lists are involved). The problem is only in "Albums" view and still works absoutely fine everywhere else in iTunes and on my mac, as far as I can tell.

My problem is that it now jumps to the wrong place. For example I was at the top of my iTunes, i.e. with artists beginning with 'A'. I pressed 'h' to jump to artists beginning with 'H' and it instead jumped to 'P' artists. Similar things happen whichever letters I press, i.e. it also happens when I type in a group of letters (e.g. 'rammst' instead of 'r'). It just always jumps to some other letter different from the one I wanted.

Moreover there was a weird pattern involved; starting at 'A', I pressed 'h' repeatedly. It jumped to 'P', then 'B', then 'O', then 'C', then 'N', then 'D', then 'M' etc. i.e. it alternately jumps upwards from the lower letters and downwards from the upper letters. Weird! Note that although this is the trend, it is not jumping specifically to these letters, it is jumping up (or down respectively) a screen's-worth of albums each time. It just happens that each letter of the alphabet corresponds to about a screen's-worth of albums for me. Sorry if this is hard to understand, please ask for clarification if so!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 16, 2014 2:57 AM

15 replies

May 18, 2014 11:17 AM in response to SSeed1994

I've been having the exact same problem since updating to 11.2. I've since updated to 11.2.1 in the hopes that it would fix this issue, but it hasn't. It's really annoying -- I use the 'Albums' view almost exclusively, and since I have a very large music library I rely heavily on jumping to the right place by typing the corresponding letters. Please fix this ASAP, Apple -- this is the sort of error so glaring that it shouldn't have even happened once, yet here I am on a second update and still no improvement.

May 26, 2014 6:24 PM in response to SSeed1994

I am also having the problem with the latest itunes 11.2.1 (1) on Mavericks 10.9.3

What's weird is that even though it's jumping to the wrong spot, (K goes to S for example), the first album with K is expanded as it should be. It appears to be consistent with every letter I test. Bad location, but good expansion of the album where it should be.

Please fix ASAP.

May 28, 2014 5:18 PM in response to SSeed1994

It works fine here.

SSeed1994 wrote:

My problem is that it now jumps to the wrong place. For example I was at the top of my iTunes, i.e. with artists beginning with 'A'. I pressed 'h' to jump to artists beginning with 'H' and it instead jumped to 'P' artists.

You are in Artists view?

What is the Artists name as shown in iTunes?

And right click - get info, click the Sorting tab and look at the Sort Artist field.

What is the artist name in the Sort Artist field?

Probably the P artist it jumped to has an H in the beginning of the Sort Artist field.

May 29, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Chris CA

I don't think that's the problem as I don't use the sort field for any of my music. The problem I'm having is not one I have ever encountered before, i.e. my search function has always worked perfectly up until now. I have not changed any metadata for any of my music or anything else whatsoever for that matter. The only thing I have done is update iTunes. And the time the problem started is precisely when I installed the update. My brother has also updated his iTunes (different macbook pro) and is having exactly the same problem as me. Thanks though!

May 29, 2014 8:48 AM in response to SSeed1994

SSeed1994 wrote:

I don't think that's the problem as I don't use the sort field for any of my music.

You may not use them and you may not have put anything in them but did you actually look to see if any of the Sort fields are populated?

If they are populated, then they will be used.

1. Are you in Artist view?
  2. What is the Artist name as shown in iTunes?
  3. Right click - get info.
  4. Click the Sorting tab.
  5. Is there anything in the Sort Artist field? or any other Sort field?

May 29, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Chris CA

I'm sorry if there has been some confusion. I'm not in Artists view, I am indeed in Albums view. For example when I said "For example I was at the top of my iTunes, i.e. with artists beginning with 'A'." what I meant was that I was in Albums view, but seeing as in Albums view my albums are sorted by artist name, that is why I referred to it jumping to different 'artists'. Again, sorry for the confusion - my problem is definitely restricted to Albums view only.

With regards to sort fields, most of mine are blank. There's the odd album here or there which has an entry in the Sort Artist or Sort Album field, but the entry is always the same as in the respective Artist or Album fields. There is certainly no discrepancy between any fields and their associated sort fields.

Thanks for taking an interest in the problem guys!

Search function broken after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.