Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just logged onto my computer and all my settings and programs are restored to default and all my files and downloads are gone. What happened??

I think the only thing I did before this happened was install apple updates and nothing else. I have no idea what happened but everything is gone. What happened and how can I fix this??

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 16, 2014 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2014 11:34 AM

If all your files are missing

You may have logged in as a different user, such as Guest. Open the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences. Your name should be at the top of the user list, under Current User. See also this support article.

If files are missing from one folder

Change the Finder view mode; for example, from icon view to list view, or vice versa.

If files are present, but seem outdated

You may have started up from a different volume (disk.) Open the Startup Disk preference pane and check the selection.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2014 11:34 AM in response to joylau

If all your files are missing

You may have logged in as a different user, such as Guest. Open the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences. Your name should be at the top of the user list, under Current User. See also this support article.

If files are missing from one folder

Change the Finder view mode; for example, from icon view to list view, or vice versa.

If files are present, but seem outdated

You may have started up from a different volume (disk.) Open the Startup Disk preference pane and check the selection.

I just logged onto my computer and all my settings and programs are restored to default and all my files and downloads are gone. What happened??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.