Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find the preference plist for mouse

Hi ALL,

Where do I find the preferenes.plist file for mouse in Mavericks?

I like to trash it because I have to click my mouse pointer sometimes 3 to 4 times before the pointer gives my any reaction.

Thank you.

Dimaxum

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMac G4/1250 MHz-80GB HD-768Mb RAM iBook G3/600MHz 20GB-HD-64

Posted on May 16, 2014 8:13 AM

31 replies

May 16, 2014 11:47 AM in response to Dimaxum

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Preferences/

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

May 16, 2014 11:35 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thank you Eric, but I NOW where the preferences folder is.

That was not my question ...

I checked the Preferences folder in my Home directory ... there is NO preferences plist file for mouse ... ore does this has a different name in Mavericks?

I was looking for apple.mouse.plist but no success.

Thank you

Dimaxum

May 17, 2014 10:09 AM in response to Dimaxum

You can't just trash property list files in Mavericks, since preferences and other settings are cached in memory. Unfortunately, this results in a big increase in delays and beach-balling, since the way they do this seems to cause a lot more memory thrashing than before.

At the very least you will need to use the defaults utility, but I doubt it will do any good, since the delays are coming from the system archiving and unarchiving stuff in the caches.

May 17, 2014 10:49 AM in response to Dimaxum

You may have

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

and

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist

but other settings are in

~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

and

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost.GlobalPreferences.-your ethernet id-.plist

If you restart or logout right after trashing the files, you'll normally avoid the caching. You can also use 'defaults delete' on the files in Terminal, or use Activity Monitor or Terminal to quit (or killall) cfprefsd

Test in a Guest or new user account first, to confirm that it's a per-user problem.

May 18, 2014 1:21 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi AndyBall,

The problem is that I have to click multiple times with my mouse until web links (on any web page), files I like to open ore just select a file is in delay.

This is very anoing to work with.

That's why I like to trash the mouse.preferences.plist ... But when I read here the comments I doubt that it make any differences.

Is there anything else I can do to activate my mouse and behavior normally?

Dimaxum

May 18, 2014 4:11 AM in response to Dimaxum

>>No, it is not possible to to get in SAFE MODE when I try to start up in Save Mode I see a LOCK and asking me a password ... I don't no to get in Save mode without the password.

That may be a firmware password : do you have the same problem trying to start in Recovery ?.

If not, do that; then try the Safari available there. If your mouse misbehaves there too, there's almost certainly a hardware fault with it.

Where do I find the preference plist for mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.