Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Mail: Email is stuck in Outbox if there are two SMTP accounts configured and one of them is offline

I have two POP Emails accounts setup on my Mail with (obviously) two separate SMTP accounts. Sometimes, one of my SMTP accounts is inaccessible/offline. When I try to send an email with the account for which the SMTP is working, the email is stuck in the Outbox perpetually.

When both accounts are online, I don't face an issue.

Workaround: If I delete the offline SMTP server from "Edit SMTP Server List", the email is sent successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), OSx Mail

Posted on May 16, 2014 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2014 11:49 PM

I was able to resolve this by unchecking the "Use only this server" under outgoing server settins option in Preferences. Now, in my new email, I get a new drop down with the SMTP servers. When I choose the online one, the email is sent successfully.

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:55 PM in response to TheVagabond

This is a repeating problem for me as well. Coincides with every Maverick's update (or Apple's Vista as I call it). I can correct it, but the problem recurs. I'll be prompted to pick an outgoing server. It does it with various emails including an iCloud one and a university .edu account. Doesn't have problems with Gmails so far.

Is the solution you mentioned holding up for you?

Mavericks Mail: Email is stuck in Outbox if there are two SMTP accounts configured and one of them is offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.