Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it bad to use a laptop with no battery--only AC adaptor?

I have an old PowerBook G4. The battery died a long time ago and I've been using it since using just the AC adaptor, which is fine with me as I only use it at home (I have a newer MacBook Pro I can use away from home).

But recently, after it had been shut down and disconnected from the AC for a few weeks, when I started it up I had to reset the date and time, and after using it for a relatively short time, the area right above the battery compartment became hotter than I ever remember it getting. So I removed the battery.

At this point I'd prefer not to have to buy a new battery, and am wondering if it would be OK to continue using it with no battery inside it--just with the AC adapter? I assume if I keep it plugged in to the AC all the time I won't have to reset the date and time each time I use it.

I spent quite a while looking in the support archives for an answer to this specific question but with no luck. Thank you.

Ed

PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 16, 2014 1:35 PM

4 replies

May 16, 2014 4:14 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, Kappy, for responding so promptly. It seems odd to me that with what I would think are equivalent voltages, the CPU can tell the difference and run twice as fast with one than the other. One could suppose it's designed that way just to sell more batteries.

As long as using the laptop without the battery won't harm it, I'll try it for awhile and decide how much I like spending the extra time vs. the extra money. Being semi-retired, at this point I have more of the former but less of the latter.

May 16, 2014 4:18 PM in response to EdBram

They are designed that way because the CPU is capable of drawing more power than the AC adaptor alone can provide, so the battery is needed to supply the additional power demanded. To prevent the overcurrent issue the processor's clock speed is reduced by half. This has been a design aspect of all Mac laptops with removable batteries.

May 16, 2014 11:20 PM in response to EdBram

There are sources of adequate batteries online for those model G4s

and the price varies; some users had a variety of experiences so if

you choose to look for one, check the seller ratings and feedback.

Some are not auction sites, others may be a seller with 'buy now.'

Since batteries to not have a long storage shelf life, the best you can

do is find a source of batteries from some company that rebuilds them.

Then, you could get another and maybe send the worn one back... Or

see if someone in your vicinity knows how to correctly replace cells in

that battery case. Be on a lookout for good spare power adapters, too.

I've found a few good ones at second hand stores for little or nothing.

An advantage to having a battery in the computer, is that should there

be a power-interrupt, the computer will still be running & that gives you

time to save your work, and shut down the computer normally.

The other option would be to get an older Mac desktop computer and

the processor would run at its preferred best speed, without a need

to get a battery for a portable computer. If a G4, too, the ceiling on

OS X remains in the 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 era. Fine, if you use old apps.

Good luck!😐

Is it bad to use a laptop with no battery--only AC adaptor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.