Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.2 opens randomly ever few minutes

(I accidentally posted this in the Maverick forum originally...didn't realize there was a separate iTunes forum, so please excuse the duplicate post.)

Ever since I updated to iTunes 11.2, iTunes opens and starts playing a song every few minutes. I quit, and it re-opens a few minutes later.

I don't have any widgets or 3rd party plugins.

OS 10.9.3

iTunes 11.2

This is a work computer, so it's highly annoying (moreso). I've had it pop open in the middle of a presentation.

I've tried deleting all iTunes related plist files in ~/Library/Preferences, to no avail.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 16, 2014 4:16 PM

6 replies

May 24, 2014 8:28 AM in response to gecko85

Update: I've started paying more attention to when this happens and have found the following:

* iTunes only auto-launches and starts playing if Spotify is also open and paused.

* If Spotify isn't open, iTunes doesn't automatically launch.

* If Spotify is open but playing, iTunes doesn't automatically launch.

* BUT, if I pause Spotify and let it sit for a while, iTunes will launch and start playing.

* If I quit iTunes, it'll re-launch itself and start playing again.

* If I quit (or un-pause) Spotify, then quit iTunes, iTunes will no longer open automatically.

Very strange, but also VERY annoying.

Any idea at all?

I tried deleting Spotify and re-downloading it, but that didn't change anything.

Jun 12, 2014 9:41 AM in response to gecko85

It started happening now even when Spotify wasn't running, so that may have just been a coincidence (that was happening repeatedly, so...weird.)

Anyway, I solved the problem. I completely deleted iTunes at the command line. I'm over it. My computer had become completely unusable, and it seems I'm talking to myself in these forums (zero replies...)

No idea what long-term consequences deleting iTunes will have, but at least I can now use my computer without music auto-playing every few minutes.

Jun 12, 2014 9:46 AM in response to gecko85

For anyone interested, here's how I deleted iTunes. Do so at your own risk. If you try to delete iTunes the regular way (drag to trash), it says it cannot be delted because it's required by the operating system. For what it's worth, I haven't had any noticeable issues since deleting, but still...do so at your own risk. (Note: deleting iTunes using the following method does *not* delete your iTunes library or media, so you can use your existing music with other applications such as VOX, or you can later re-install iTunes...)

Open Terminal, then enter these commands:

killall iTunes

killall "iTunes Helper"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app/

Jun 23, 2014 10:13 AM in response to gecko85

Hi Gecko85

I came across your post while experiencing the same issue (iTunes 11.2.2 on Mavericks 10.9.3).

Unfortunate you weren't getting any replies, however your digging lead to me solving mine. I was suspicious of the Startup Item 'iTunes Helper' as it keeps appearing but I can't see a reason for it to critically exist.

My Solution: Open 'System Preferences' and go to 'Users'. Select my account and in the 'Startup Items' tab delete the 'iTunes Helper'. Immediately iTunes stopped reopening as soon as I quit. Good!

Now to see if the next update to iTunes recreates the Startup Item and the problem returns...

Jul 10, 2014 9:21 AM in response to gecko85

After much experimenting, I *finally* discovered the issue: a flaky mic on my headphone cord was the culprit. If I barely touched the mic, iTunes would launch. I never put two and two together, because I wasn't ever pressing the "talk" button on the little cord dongle. If I moved too much while wearing the headphones, and the mic dongle brushed up against my shirt, iTunes would launch and start playing a song. (No clue what the mic/talk dongle on a headphone cord has to do with iTunes, but whatever...) Once I realized this, I could replicate the issue at will just by toughing the mic.

So, long story short, I've tossed the headphones in the trash. New ones are on order from Amazon.

Strangest and most frustrating "bug" ever.

iTunes 11.2 opens randomly ever few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.