Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the iTunes Store (iTunes 11.2) keep asking for my Apple ID password on launch?

iTunes 11.2, Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.3

The iTunes Store keeps asking for Apple ID password on launch, and with every download, even when I am already logged in to the iTunes Store with my Apple ID. I am using iCloud, my iCloud account is set up on my iMac and I am using iCloud Keychain. My Apple ID password is stored in my Keychain. So why can't the iTunes Store remember me?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 16, 2014 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2014 5:08 PM

Back up all data.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2014 5:08 PM in response to alp1116

Back up all data.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

May 16, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc -

Everything was already set up as you indicated and Keychain First Aid did not find any problems when I repaired my keychain. I restarted my Mac afterwards, and then launched iTunes again. I tried to download something and iTunes asked me for my password again; HOWEVER this time the box for REMEMBER PASSWORD appeared (before it did not). So I checked it and that seems to have solved it.

So even though everything appeared to be okay with my keychain, going through the steps you suggested seemed to change something that made iTunes ask me to remember my password again (even though it was already saved in my Keychain).

Thanks for your help.

Anna

May 17, 2014 10:58 AM in response to alp1116

After upgrading to iTunes 11.2 on May 8, 2014, I can't download my podcasts from two external sources, which are podcasts not purchased through iTunes for several years. I am the only person using my Mac. I have never changed my Apple ID in 15 years. I did change my password in January 2014 after Apple alerted me to a possible "Identity Theft" incident to my account at Apple on-line. Never had problems with my Apple ID since then.

Am still using OS 10.6.8 because being a pianist, I have a huge backlog of piano DB files which I created with Appleworks and which I must now re-type and/or convert to a format which Maverick will open and read.

I don't think my iTunes uprgrade problem is due to my old OS. It's an iTunes upgrade dilemma.

When I download the podcasts every day since my upgrade to iTunes 11.2, it gives me this alert message:

"You are signed in with a different Apple ID than previously used with Podcasts. Do you want to sync these podcast subscriptions and stations with (my e-mail address is quoted by iTunes)? If you choose to sync then these podcasts and stations will be merged with any that have been syncing on other devices of computers."

Then I get the option to click on "Don't sync" or "Sync". I click on "Sync". This routine is annoying and ridiculous as the Alert Message comes on every day as I get new daily podcasts.

I spent hours yesterday with Apple Tech Support and they were as baffled as I am. They said it was my podcast outside vendor's problem, not Apple's problem. I have never changed my Apple ID for about 15 years of owning Apple products. And I have never had this problem with my two outside podcast vendors. Now I see that others in our Apple Community are having similar problems.

I shall examine my Keychain as recommended by others and see if there are problems there which might correct this bug. Shall report back with results. I hope we get this bug repaired quickly by Apple.

Thank you very much.

Generosa Rader

Jun 11, 2014 7:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

I did as instructed above, and I'm still getting repeat prompts for password, even though iTunes 11.2.2 (3) recognized my password. If I try to enter a wrong PW, an additional red-lettered message for incorrect ID/PW will appear in the prompt. Also, my unfinished iTunes downloads continue in the background. The prompt appeared occasionally in the past when I tried to make a purchase or access account information, and resolved when I restarted my laptop. Now it continues when I try to access my account info, and won't go away even after restarting.

I also noticed that the iTunes account on my MBA isn't in sync with Apple TV, so that when I make purchases on Apple TV, MBA won't indicate that the media were purchased already. However, my Apple TV recognizes MBA purchases...

This is indeed frustrating. I humbly ask for assistance from those with better kung-fu.

Feb 14, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

Seems reasonable to back up all the data for every time an OS X bug needs a weird fix.

I have spent thousands and thousands on Apple products. they can't get the basics right!

WiFi disconnections

iTunes keeps asking for password.

iTunes running when Bluetooth headphones connect

Preview annotations broken

Slow PDF scrolling (not resource related)

Permissions get out of whack

Safari has not exception option for privacy

On and on.

I'm sad as a company that I developed absolute loyalty is letting me down with incompetence. It doesn't "Just Work" any more.

iOS is MUCH more stable.

Why does the iTunes Store (iTunes 11.2) keep asking for my Apple ID password on launch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.