Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 battery is swelling

I noticed my screen is popping out of place, and the battery is swelling up and causing this. The phone is no longer under warranty but will apple replace the battery and screen? This has got to be hazardous if it explodes right?

Posted on May 16, 2014 8:47 PM

10 replies

Jul 4, 2017 1:42 AM in response to Community User

Seems like batteries in Iphone 5 has this problem. I got the same experience with screen bulging out in upper right corner and so it is a open glitch between the screen and the phone. But from what I understood this is no guarantee case for Apple. Made me wonder about customer support. Used Apple products for 22 years and are found about them, but the world has changed outside the Apple universe.

Next replacement of my phone will be in December. Use it with scotch tape to cover the glitch in the meantime. Not sure if it will be an Apple product next time.

Jul 29, 2015 6:37 AM in response to dustmat

Update on this issue:

I found this post as well as another talking about the battery swelling when I started researching Iphone 5 screen bulge, so I decided it was worth a trip to the Apple Store to see what they would say. I explained the battery swelling /screen bulge issue and the worker seemed very familiar with it. They ran diagnostics on the phone and then opened it up to reveal the swollen battery. With that, I was given a brand new Iphone 5 without any hesitation.

Dec 23, 2015 8:29 AM in response to nguyenjs

hi,

I brought my iphone 5 in Bangalore, India about ~2 years ago. by paying huge premium of Rs.44000. Recently my phone started bulging and screen almost popping out of case. I took it to a nearby service centre and it was diagnosed with a swollen battery issue. I checked Apple website site and I believe this product has been recalled. However the service centre in Bangalore, India is asking me to pay Rs.8000 to fix the issue. I really don't understand the crappy service in India and why they are asking for me to cough up such a huge amount for which Apple is owning up issue? The service centres are unfortunately outsourced to some 3rd party. These folks show no accountability unlike good service which Apple is known for in USA. I don't understand why we are charged premium for bad service? Why is the service so sub-standard in India?

iPhone 5 battery is swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.