Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any USB devices that are incompatible with Mac OS X?

Title says it all. Looking to swap over to a Mac and I need to know if my printer and the like would just work or if I'd have to buy a new one.

Posted on May 16, 2014 9:23 PM

4 replies

May 16, 2014 9:27 PM in response to fatso666

Undoubtibly there are USB devices incompatible with the Mac, but it's unlikely you will come across one. If your printer doesn't work with OS X, then it's likely that you don't have the right printer driver installed or there is no compatible driver. However, this has nothing to do with the fact the printer uses the USB port.

May 16, 2014 9:47 PM in response to fatso666

No, I didn't say, "there's likely a driver to fix it." There may not be a compatible driver.

You are asking about a printer, so why not go to the manufacturer's website and see what drivers are available for the printer that are compatible with the OS X version you have installed. It's even possible you already have a driver you can use once you install the printer.

Adding a printer to your printer list in Mac OS X

OS X Mavericks- Set up a printer

OS X Mountain Lion- Set up a printer

Are there any USB devices that are incompatible with Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.