Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro stop FaceTime opening when connecting camera

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 17, 2014 1:56 AM

6 replies

May 17, 2014 9:30 AM in response to lllaass

thanks for helping, but i already saw this thread.

Ive got the same problem than this people, given my camera is firewire iidc.

"Unfortunately, FireWire video cameras are not recognized as imaging sources, so Image Capture doesn't pick them up. As a result, you can't use Image Capture to prevent FaceTime from accessing this video camera"

Another solution?

using Terminal?

killing facetime?

Feb 4, 2015 11:30 AM in response to singularmoments

I solved the problem slightly less destructively. Instead of deleting the FaceTime app, I neuter it by making it no longer executable. At least this is reversible. I've tested the solution below and it works.

cd /Applications
sudo chmod -x FaceTime.app/

In case anyone from Apple is reading this, here's a case history about why this problem is important.

I am developing OpenCV-based computer vision applications with FireWire IIDC cameras (e.g. PointGrey). I happen to be using Mac OSX 10.10 on a late-2014 Mac Mini. Because I'm developing standalone interactive installations for museums, it's essential that FaceTime not launch if the connection to my camera happens to be lost and re-established.

In MacOS 10.9 and earlier, FaceTime provided a simple preference checkbox for this; checking it allowed you to disable automatically launching FaceTime when a camera was connected. But in OSX 10.10, this helpful preference was inexplicably removed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.