Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the safest and most efficient way to clean and tune my mac?

My Mac needs to be tuned up. I have seen my pop-up offers, but would like to know if there is one product that is considered effective.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 17, 2014 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2014 6:16 AM

The safest and most efficient way is to never install any software that claims to clean up, tune up, speed up, optimize or protect your Mac, without exception they will all do the opposite of what they claim. Keep OS X up to date, have plenty of ram 4gb is the absolute minimum for Mavericks, and keep 15-20 GB free on your boot drive for OS X to use. Keep startup or login items to a minimum, avoid running too many applications at once unless you have lots of ram and learn to use activity monitor http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2014 6:16 AM in response to nschwartzy

The safest and most efficient way is to never install any software that claims to clean up, tune up, speed up, optimize or protect your Mac, without exception they will all do the opposite of what they claim. Keep OS X up to date, have plenty of ram 4gb is the absolute minimum for Mavericks, and keep 15-20 GB free on your boot drive for OS X to use. Keep startup or login items to a minimum, avoid running too many applications at once unless you have lots of ram and learn to use activity monitor http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

Feb 11, 2016 1:54 PM in response to johnBarry

We can't read your EtreCheck report. It did not show up as a link, only plain text. Please simply copy/paste the EC report into a response to your own thread. That's how it was intended to be used.

Many people fail to realize that Mac OSX does a creditable job of taking care of itself. Most of the things tune-up apps claim to do are already handled by Mac's periodic maintenance scripts that run daily, weekly, and monthly to keep things tidy.

What is the safest and most efficient way to clean and tune my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.