Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Push notifications won't work anymore

Hello everyone,

since about two weeks i have noticed that push notifications won't work anymore on my device. Either I don't get any notification at all or it comes late, sometimes even hours after the message was sent to me.

This goes especially for whatsapp and FB messanger.

When i open the apps or log on to wi-fi all missed messages pop up at once, which is quite annoying.

I already tried erverything I could think of to fix the problem.

I turned it off and on, did a hard reset and even restored it from a backup, but nothing helped.

The only thing which helps temporarily is to turn off "search my iPhone", to log of from the Apple-ID under "iTunes & App-Store", reboot the iPhone and log on again.

I hope anyone can help me with this problem, because I have no idea what else I could do.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 17, 2014 7:22 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2014 9:26 AM in response to DelBaero

Hi DelBaero,

So, it sounds like push notifications are working intermittently. Take a look at the article linked below, not only does it give insight into how notifications work, it also provides some troubleshooting tips that should help.

iOS: Understanding notifications

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3576

Troubleshooting notifications

Push notifications require an active Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Note: Notifications use Wi-Fi only when a cellular connection is unavailable. Firewalls and proxy servers may affect your ability to receive notifications. For more information, see Unable to use Apple Push Notification service (APNs).

If you're not receiving notifications for a specific app, try these steps:

1. Verify that the app supports notifications.
  2. After installing an app or restoring a backup to a different iOS device, open the app to begin receiving notifications. If the app requires entering or logging in to an account, you will need to do this before receiving notifications.
  3. Check Settings > Notification Center to ensure that the app is configured for notifications. If notifications do not appear in the Notification Center, verify that the Notification Center setting for the app is enabled.

-Jason

May 19, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Jason L

Hi Jason,

first of all, thanks for your reply.

But since I didn't change anything on my settings and everything was working fine a few weeks ago, the article you linked unfortunately doesn't help me.

The only thing I can imagine causing the problem is the update to iOS 7.1.1

I didn't install the update on it's release days, so the time when I first noticed the problem might fit to the day I installed it.

Push notifications won't work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.