Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update to 10.9.3 hangs

I updated to OS 10.9.3 and it asked me to restart. It went into software update launcher mode and just hangs there for hours. Any idea whats happening?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 17, 2014 8:11 AM

14 replies

May 18, 2014 9:07 PM in response to ashishmusale

I was getting stuck on the same screen. I then tried to just shut down and got the same blank softwareupdatelauncher screen again. I wonder if a window just doesn't open? I hit return and a window popped up asking me if I want to install updates and then shut down. I clicked update and the process started. Computer shut down and upon restart finished the install process. 10.9.3 install is now complete.

May 25, 2014 3:50 PM in response to ashishmusale

I had same issue and multiple times it stopped at the software update launcher. I tried many updates to 10.9.3 via App Store and Combo updater. The restart then stopped at the software update launcher. I tried just "return" and Apple menu, logout and return but neither continued to actually do the uodate.

The solution came from the below 10.5 upgrade fix article - delete all the /Library/Updates files

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/19/apple_details_fix_for_hanging_software _update_installs

"To resolve the issue, Apple recommends that you quit Software Update and then navigate to the directory on your hardware where the contents of pre-installed software updates reside. To get there, select "Go to Folder" from the Go menu in the Finder and type in "/Library/Updates" without the quotes, then click Go."

After I deleted the /Library/Updates and re-updated via App Store, the 10.9.3 update downloaded again and restarted perfectly.

The haning software update launcher issue seems to have been caused by a corrupt or incomplete download of 10.9.3. Simply deleting the /Library/Updates files allowed the update to continue and restarted correctly.

After many times updating and restaring for this issue many times, I thought I'd update this thread with what precisely fixed the issue for me.

Doug

update to 10.9.3 hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.