Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Might Data Execution Prevention Be Closing iTunes 11.2.0.115?

I don’t own any Apple hardware and only use iTunes to listen to songs I purchased in the iTunes store that only work in iTunes. I started noticing problems when I updated to version 11.2.0.115 today. The “iTunes.exe” process remains in the “Processes” list of my Windows Task Manager for about 30 seconds after I exit the program. A balloon then appears in my taskbar saying Data Execution Prevention has closed iTunes. Windows Help and Support suggests seeing if a DEP-compatible version is available before turning DEP off for the program. I’m using Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 32-bit. What, if anything, can I do?

Windows Vista

Posted on May 17, 2014 10:31 AM

3 replies

Jun 8, 2014 10:45 AM in response to masteryoda1041

I fixed it on my computer. Not sure which of the steps I did fixed it so I will list all of them.

I wasn't getting the error until I did the following (to prevent it from just crashing on logging into the iTunes Store)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5561435?answerId=23987910022#23987910022

I added C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support; to the system variables PATH (depending on your operating system, your file path will be different). How to do that has been outlined in the above linked article.

This now caused DEP to freak out whenever I logged into the store and close iTunes. Adding iTunes to the DEP filter didn't solve the problem. So I removed all the saved system settings for iTunes and ran Apple Software Update. I also went to the DEP and added every .exe I could find in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple to the exceptions list (again, depending on your OS the file path may be different.)

To remove the saved system settings for iTunes you can find those in C:\Documents and Settings (for Win XP) or C:\Users (for Win 8). Find a folder named AppData or Application data under various user names and remove any Apple related files you can. I had one .log file that couldn't be deleted, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Why Might Data Execution Prevention Be Closing iTunes 11.2.0.115?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.