Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Transitions and Modify Options Grayed Out

I want the ability to use iMovie to add transitions, replay, etc, but the options are all grayed out.

I am running OS X 10.9.3 (Mavericks).

User uploaded file

My iMovie version is up to date with the latest from the Mac App Store, iMovie version 10.0.3:

User uploaded file

I began by importing two video clips from my desktop into a "New Event" and gave it a name.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2218 gave some [outdated] instruction for how to add a transition, but the options are grayed out for me, and they do nothing with the keyboard shortcuts:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Why would options be grayed out? How do I used these options (which is one of the main reasons anybody would want iMovie in the first place)?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), OS X Mavericks 10.9.3

Posted on May 17, 2014 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:43 PM

Only your last screen shot shows. However the Modify menu options are those you get when you have selected a clip in an event. The greyed out options should be available when you have selected a clip in a project timeline.

The outdated instructions you mention are for iMovie 9. the user interface in iMovie 10 is very different. it is necessary to look at the help files to famiarise oneself with the changes.

I hope this helps,

Geoff.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2014 3:43 PM in response to ImaMember

Only your last screen shot shows. However the Modify menu options are those you get when you have selected a clip in an event. The greyed out options should be available when you have selected a clip in a project timeline.

The outdated instructions you mention are for iMovie 9. the user interface in iMovie 10 is very different. it is necessary to look at the help files to famiarise oneself with the changes.

I hope this helps,

Geoff.

May 20, 2014 4:34 PM in response to GeeD

Thank you for replying, GeeD. Sorry about the screenshots (not sure why they didn't appear).

In my iMovie Window I have the two clips shown in the bottom window. It seems I can use Command-A to select all, and it selects both clips, else I could try my luck to select just a sub-clip. The challenge to the second part is that I cannot choose a sub-clip that spans both clips (I "select all" or get just a sub-clip of one item or the other). Above that is a small preview window that plays the movie if I type the space bar.

Even with both items selected (or a sub-clip) my options are still grayed out. See this screenshot, and see that above the clips it tells that I have two items selected. The results are the same even if I click-and-drag to select a clip.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 5:19 AM in response to GeeD

I think of a sub-clip as a segment of the video without selecting the entire item. If I have a 3 minute video and a 6 minute video (2 items) I could use the mouse to grab any small or large segment and call it a sub-clip.

I hadn't shown the full iMovie window because I was trying to highlight that the menu options are grayed out, but without making the screenshot too large to be helpful. The bottom shows "2 of 2 selected", but I can show the timeline if it would help.

May 21, 2014 7:16 AM in response to ImaMember

So if I understand correctly you have an event with two clips in it, one 3min long and the other 6 minutes long.

Have you created a new project and put these into it? You can only edit after you have dragged and dropped them into the timeline of a project. You mention grabbing a small section of a clip but you can only do this in an event, not in a project timeline.

Geoff.

May 21, 2014 7:51 AM in response to GeeD

You are correct about having two videos (one 3 minutes long, the other about 6 minutes long). I began by importing two video clips from my desktop into a "New Event" and gave it a name. Perhaps I am unfamiliar with how to use iMovie, but now I understand that was not the right thing (I should have used a new "project" and not a new "event"). The "Import" button was so prominently displayed I just assumed it was the best starting point. I'm not at home right now, but will check when I get home and ensure a new project works better than the event.

Curious: what's the difference in iMove (when to use an "event" vs a project)? I know "events" are prominent in iPhoto, but it seems "project" is the preference for iMovie.

May 21, 2014 8:04 AM in response to ImaMember

An event contains all the raw movie, still and audio clips you have from a particular 'shoot'. You can't do any editing within an event, you can just delete entire clips. Nothing else. To create movies you have to create projects. These are where you assemble your clips (often only parts of them) and add titles, transitions, music etc. When you are happy with the result you 'share' the project which means that iMovie creates a single movie file from enerything you have put in your project and which you can play on various devices. You can use the same clips in more than one project. In iMovie 10 (in contrast to earlier versions), projects are also stored in events.

Geoff.

May 23, 2014 1:48 PM in response to GeeD

In the current iMovie I didn't see an option for adding new projects, but I did see adding a new Movie or a new trailer. I used the option for a new movie, and it then had some verbbage about a project, so I felt good about it. Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction and helping me to fix this.

NOTE: I did not see an option for deleting a clip from the middle (it's easy to trim the beginning or end) without splitting the movie at the beginning and end of what I wanted, and then deleting the isolated clip. But splitting worked, so I went with that. Big thanks for helping me find how to get the options not grayed out.

iMovie Transitions and Modify Options Grayed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.