Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default folder that Finder opens

hello,

Whenever I open Finder on my Macbook Pro 2012 Mavericks, the default folder it opens is "all my files" which takes a long time to load. How can I change that to documents, or applications? Can I type something in Terminal? thanks

Posted on May 18, 2014 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2014 9:08 AM

Hi 24GHz,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that when you open Finder it always opens All My Files and you would like to change that. There is a quick and simple way to change which folder opens in Finder without having to use Terminal. Navigate to Finder > Preferences > General pane > New Finder window show: and you can change which folder opens in a new Finder window. The information can be found in the following article.

OS X Mavericks: Finder preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14046

Thanks for reaching out,

-Joe

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2014 9:08 AM in response to 24GHz

Hi 24GHz,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that when you open Finder it always opens All My Files and you would like to change that. There is a quick and simple way to change which folder opens in Finder without having to use Terminal. Navigate to Finder > Preferences > General pane > New Finder window show: and you can change which folder opens in a new Finder window. The information can be found in the following article.

OS X Mavericks: Finder preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14046

Thanks for reaching out,

-Joe

Jun 3, 2015 5:13 AM in response to joe_73

Hey Joe_73.

I was wondering if you could help with that too, I knew already how to change the default folder, but the fact is that it doesn't work. I've now set up lots of different default folders and whenever I open a new window by clicking on the icon in the dock it gets me to download's folder. Interestingly, though, is that if I hit CMD+T or CMD+N it opens the right folder. I've already force quit finder, and restarted the dock via the terminal app. Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks.

-Felipe R.

Default folder that Finder opens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.