Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad has no sound when playing games

My ipad has no sound when I play games but it's okay on my iTunes and YouTube.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 18, 2014 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 5:10 AM

The speakers on my Ipad would not work with certain game and video streaming apps; all of which were non-Apple Apps. However, these Apps would play sound if headphones were connected.

I contacted Apple support about this and their suggestion to upgrade to the newest IOS version - 10.3.1 - which I did and to uninstall/ reinstall those particular apps; did not resolve the issue. I tried numerous other things like de-selecting the 'Access within Apps' (Control Centre) and doing a mini-reboot by pressing the home and sleep button together. This didn't work. A number of posts have referred to a method involving the Orientation Lock and Mute button; I couldn't seem to find this on my Ipad. Either way, I found the solution that worked for my Ipad, you basically have to Reset All Settings, don't worry this does not erase any of your data. You'll just have to re-enter your Wifi password after it reboots. I hope this works for you too:

Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 5:10 AM in response to Ernestinefromhi

The speakers on my Ipad would not work with certain game and video streaming apps; all of which were non-Apple Apps. However, these Apps would play sound if headphones were connected.

I contacted Apple support about this and their suggestion to upgrade to the newest IOS version - 10.3.1 - which I did and to uninstall/ reinstall those particular apps; did not resolve the issue. I tried numerous other things like de-selecting the 'Access within Apps' (Control Centre) and doing a mini-reboot by pressing the home and sleep button together. This didn't work. A number of posts have referred to a method involving the Orientation Lock and Mute button; I couldn't seem to find this on my Ipad. Either way, I found the solution that worked for my Ipad, you basically have to Reset All Settings, don't worry this does not erase any of your data. You'll just have to re-enter your Wifi password after it reboots. I hope this works for you too:

Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

May 18, 2014 11:51 AM in response to Ernestinefromhi

You have system sounds muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the control center if you are running iOS 7. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get to control center . Tap on the bell icon and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock can be accessed in the same manner as described above.

This support article from Apple explains how the side switch works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Jun 12, 2014 12:25 PM in response to Ernestinefromhi

The posted "Official" fix does not work after switching apps. If you've lost sound in app and games but not in music or headphones, then try this. Close all current apps, go to settings, control center and turn off "Access Within Apps". Then do a soft reset with the home and sleep button. Your audio/external speakers will now work in apps. Apple broke the audio controller (pause/play/forward/back/volume) in the Control Center with their 7.1.1 update.

Jun 12, 2014 6:13 PM in response to bobseufert

Keep telling the users to unmute or reset or restore. Cause I can tell you right now that solution doesn't work consistently. But it did for me after I added turning off the control centers access within apps to the process. It is related, heck, maybe it's even a new 7.1.1 bug! I wouldn't have taken the time to make this account if I didn't know it was a part of the puzzle.

Or is the problem that there are so many users on here that this is the first stuff you spout and spout it with attitude because you're tired of repeating yourselves? Can we take a step back from our EGOS? Just listen, without the haughtiness, for one second.

Demos advice will work.. until you slide the control center up within the offending app or switch apps. Headphones or not.

I can make a video since you doubt me so thoroughly.

I'm going to leave this at that because I have better things to do than argue with you guys. You're being closed-minded. And here I thought you guys would be happy to have a software dev find another clue to help towards a clear consistent solution to a problem that is not always a user setting or user error.

Jun 12, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Demo

Unintentionally broke it, maybe. I find the suggestion that people don't realize their toggle is on mute more absurd, you can clearly see when it is and isn't. This is just another 'try everything else that's simple' before moving on to possible code breaks. Like the turn it off turn it on classic. This setting fixed mine when I figured it out. Yes that may be anecdotal to you but the coincidences surrounding the ah ha moment sealed it for me. The external speaker wasn't playing and my headphones were the only thing working. They went quiet as soon as I slid the control center up, same with the external speaker when it finally worked once after a few resets. I also did the reset all settings before doing my control center setting. My issue was no external audio in any app (games, gba4ios, YouTube, QuickTime etc) except for google play, iTunes and soundcloud.

Jun 12, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Secretmachine

Secretmachine wrote:

Apple broke the audio controller (pause/play/forward/back/volume) in the Control Center with their 7.1.1 update.

I am responding simply because you are responding to threads in which I have participated. I still get those notification updates, and I've read a couple of your posts regarding this issue.

Your statement that Apple broke the audio controller with their update to 7.1.1 and blaming that on not having sound in games and apps is absurd IMO. I have had no issues at all with sound in apps or games running iOS 7.1.1. The controls for sound work fine for me and the sounds themselves in music, apps and games work without issue.

You may be correct in that your fix works in some instances, but to say that this was broken in iOS 7.1.1 just isn't right. More often than not, the problem is that system sounds have been muted,

Jun 12, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Secretmachine

Secretmachine wrote:

Unintentionally broke it, maybe. I find the suggestion that people don't realize their toggle is on mute more absurd, you can clearly see when it is and isn't. This is just another 'try everything else that's simple' before moving on to possible code breaks. Like the turn it off turn it on classic. This setting fixed mine when I figured it out. Yes that may be anecdotal to you but the coincidences surrounding the ah ha moment sealed it for me. The external speaker wasn't playing and my headphones were the only thing working. They went quiet as soon as I slid the control center up, same with the external speaker when it finally worked once after a few resets. I also did the reset all settings before doing my control center setting. My issue was no external audio in any app (games, gba4ios, YouTube, QuickTime etc) except for google play, iTunes and soundcloud.

You are incorrect and your posts are damaging to those investigating problems.

Jun 12, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Ernestinefromhi

Ernestinefromhi wrote:

My ipad has no sound when I play games but it's okay on my iTunes and YouTube.

Follow Demo's advice. For more detail, read the Apple support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

In case you're wondering why things are so klutzy, here is the history. Originally, the mechanical switch affected only the rotation lock and the mute was a software switch elsewhere. In IOS-3, it was changed to be the mute switch and the rotation lock became a software switch. This was done to ensure consistency among IOS devices. Unfortunately, a large quantity of users complained loudly, alleging that they turned the rotation lock on and off several times every hour and the convenience of the mechanical switch is essential. In IOS-4, Apple bowed to the whiners and made the switch function selectable and now we're stuck with a mess.

iPad has no sound when playing games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.