Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast User Switching & screen resolution

Hello,
There are two users on this Mac (specs below), each with their own preference for screen resolution. When switching from the user with the lower screen resolution setting (1280 x 960) to the user with the higher resolution setting (1600 x 1200), the high-resolution user's screen briefly flashes at the lower resolution and windows are resized and rearranged to suit the lower resolution. Then the resolution change takes effect and the desktop appears at the proper (higher) resolution, but with the windows resized/rearranged.

Differences in eyesight make it difficult to keep both users at the same resolution. Is there a way to prevent the resizing/rearranging for the higher-resolution user?

Thanks and regards!

G4 400 MHz AGP (Sawtooth) Mac OS X (10.4.5) 768 MiB

Posted on Sep 1, 2006 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2006 3:10 PM

Hi, D. M.

AFAIK, there's no way to prevent this: whenever screen resolution is changed to a lower res, the size and position of open windows is adjusted accordingly. When you then move to a higher res, things are where they were at the lower-res, w.r.t. size and position, relative to the new higher-res.

As a possible workaround, I suggest having the higher-res user minimize all open windows to the Dock before the switch is performed to the low-res user. After switching back to the high-res user and after the display is clearly at the higher res, click the icons for minimized windows in the Dock. However, objects on the desktop may still be repositioned on the high-res user.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2006 3:10 PM in response to Declan MacLeod

Hi, D. M.

AFAIK, there's no way to prevent this: whenever screen resolution is changed to a lower res, the size and position of open windows is adjusted accordingly. When you then move to a higher res, things are where they were at the lower-res, w.r.t. size and position, relative to the new higher-res.

As a possible workaround, I suggest having the higher-res user minimize all open windows to the Dock before the switch is performed to the low-res user. After switching back to the high-res user and after the display is clearly at the higher res, click the icons for minimized windows in the Dock. However, objects on the desktop may still be repositioned on the high-res user.

Good luck!

😉 Dr. Smoke
Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X

Sep 3, 2006 6:42 AM in response to Dr. Smoke

Bummer. I was afraid that the answer would be along those lines. It's especially inconvenient in that the higher-res user (i.e. me) keeps a lot of windows open, all the time. Right now I have 8 apps running with an aggregate of about a dozen or so windows open.

As clean and seamless as Apple likes to make things, I'm surprised that they let this bug through. Time to submit feedback, I guess.....

Cheers!

Fast User Switching & screen resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.