Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor not waking up after 10.9.3 update

Hi,

I am using the Mac Pro 2013 and have run into some monitor issues after updating to 10.9.3

I am using a dual monitor setup, the SamsungA950 and the Eizo CG275W. Ever since the 10.9.3 update, the Eizo monitor will not wake when the display goes to sleep and I try to wake the computer up.

I know the computer is still running as the other monitor comes up and I can see the mouse cursor. I have to physically unplug the Eizo monitor from the Mac Pro and then replugging it before it will appear after a while.

This issue did not occur before the 10.9.3 update. Anyone sees this with other monitors too?

iPhone 5, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), 12core 2.7Ghz, 64GB RAM Dual D700

Posted on May 18, 2014 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:11 PM

Yes, something similar except I have to restart the rMBP to recognize mt LG monitor. Often the rMBP freezes (except for mouse).

88 replies

Jun 9, 2014 9:00 AM in response to ywchai

I have had random problems. They started with my Thunderbolt display not working. That was solved with a SMC and PRAM reset. Now I get random problems where my HDMI display (HP2159) will be blank after MAC Pro wakes from a sleep. It is always ok after a restart but is annoying regardless. The SMC and PRAM resets seem to set things right for a few days and then I get back to the same issue.

When I go to "displays" when the HDMI monitor stops working, sometimes I still show both displays under "arrangement" and sometimes not.

I also note that I have never found my HDMI monitor listed under "About this MAC" > more info > either separately or under Graphics / Displays. The Thunderbolt display has its own bullet, The HDMI display does not show up anywhere. Only my video cards are displayed under Graphics and Displays.

Everything worked well for two months and then I just get random display problems when MAC PRO wakes from sleep.

It is frustrating

Jun 9, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Anmore guy

It seems like a timing thing for me. When may rMBP first wakes up.. apparently the DP gets reset or something as the external monitor wakes up but there is no video signal. Often the external monitor will go to back to sleep before the rMBP wakes up completely. Sometimes toggling the screen saver puts everything back into sync, sometimes its a restart. If the rMBP wakes up and provides DP video signals before the external monitor goes back to sleep, then there is wake issue.

I haven't found a way to lengthen the display's sleep timer. This is that one where the monitor sleeps if it doesn't receive a signal for x seconds.

Jun 9, 2014 10:06 AM in response to Yositimy

Correct resolution and timing to your display depends on the Display answering an EDID query from the Mac. These queries are sent at Startup, when the Mac wakes from sleep, and when a cable is inserted.

If you have at least one display working, you can also use:

System Preferences > Displays ...

Hold down Option in this pane and the ( Detect Displays ) button should appear, which sends the EDID query to all connectors.

--------

It is an interesting suggestion that perhaps the display has activated its own internal sleep, as well as Mac sleep. If it does not respond to the EDID query when the Mac sends it, that may cause it to remain dark.

You could try sleep-and-wake your Mac again to see if it will respond better, or unplug and re-plug the cable.

Jun 9, 2014 11:19 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the try but, as mentioned earlier, pulling and reinserting the cable, turning the display on an off... has no affect. Apparently once the MAC gets into this funk the MAC does not send EDIDs untill it is restarted.... the display is not detected via the suggested detect display command.

Having a FCP window on the external display when sleep is activated causes machine lock up after a wake.... the external monitor windows are displayed on the laptop and it seems like FCP locks up the machine. Must hard reset to recover. Annoying to say the least..

Jun 14, 2014 3:00 PM in response to ywchai

I've been having the same problem with my mid 2011 21.5" iMac with HP w2207 second monitor.

Since updating the HP will not wake up, the Detect Displays button does nothing. But what I have found is that if I go to arrangement and click on the mirror displays check box it wakes the monitor up and then I uncheck it and keep on working. As soon as it goes back to sleep its the same ****!!

Arghhhhhh!!!

Come on Apple, get the dual monitor detection fixed once and for all!!! Its been hit and miss ever since I have owned this iMac!!

Jun 14, 2014 7:49 PM in response to ywchai

Having similar HDMI permanent sleep issues with a 2014 Mac Pro and Seiki 4K monitor OSX10.9.3. It used to wake up with various cable unplugging and/or switching inputs. It now just stays dark and I need to do a reboot to get it up again.

Come on Apple...we paid how much for these "most advanced machines on the planet" and you can't figure out how to wake the display after sleeping!!!!!

Or is this going to be another "Buy our $279 Thunderbolt adapter and it will all magically be fixed." deal???

Jun 17, 2014 4:00 AM in response to ywchai

I am having the exact problem with my nmp. Using external 4k (UHD) TV connected via HDMI. Waking the HDMI connection from sleep doesn't work. The computer is on and running, but display shows no input. Started happening with 10.9.3, I believe.

I have to hard-reboot the computer as it is my only monitor. Huge disappointment, especially 10.9.3 didn't even bring the "retina" menu for my UHD nor HDMI 2.0 capability. (yes, my TV is HDMI 2.0 equipped)

Jun 17, 2014 10:08 PM in response to h4nc0

An Apple Care Sr. Advisor asked me to collect some logs for their Engineering team. Apparently, their engineers are looking into it.

I would encourage whoever also has this problem contact Apple Care and request to upload your log files to them. They will send you an email with instructions and software to collect the log files.

This will help us new Mac Pro owners as a whole.....

Monitor not waking up after 10.9.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.