Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

workflow--multiple cam archives for one library / interviews

Hi Guys

I am filming 5 interviews over the course of a week for a project. I would like to edit individual interview sequences that are already filmed, while waiting for the next interview filming opportunity.

The first interview I filmed last week. Afterwards I created a FCPX 10.1.1 camera archive(lets call it Camera Archive A) of the footage for safety.

My plan is to edit that self-contained interview sequence and get it done before I film the 2nd interview in a couple of days.

To edit the first interview sequence, I will import from Camera Archive A into a library in FCPX 10.1.1.

However, once I film the 2nd interview, I would like to create a fresh camera archive of the card -- so that a single camera archive, 'Camera Archive B' will now contain the footage from both of the interviews.

I would then delete Camera Archive A (which only contains footage from the first interview).

I would then import footage of the second interview from 'Camera Archive B' into the same library I'd previously used.

'Camera Archive B' would contain footage from both the first and second interviews -- a more up-to-date clone of the entire card.

I would then edit that 2nd self-contained interview sequence and get it done before I film the 3rd interview in a couple of days...and so on.

Could this cause any problems in FCPX 10.1.1?

Warm regards

Posted on May 19, 2014 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2014 3:18 AM

No problems that I can see, assuming you have enough space in the camera card to store all the footage.

When you import a clip from a camera archive, it is the same as importing from a camera card. You have to store it somewhere (either inside the library or in a folder of your choosing), and it becomes independent of the archive (or card). Deleting the archive will not affect your library, because it is not in any way pointing or referencing it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2014 3:18 AM in response to ApplePeter

No problems that I can see, assuming you have enough space in the camera card to store all the footage.

When you import a clip from a camera archive, it is the same as importing from a camera card. You have to store it somewhere (either inside the library or in a folder of your choosing), and it becomes independent of the archive (or card). Deleting the archive will not affect your library, because it is not in any way pointing or referencing it.

workflow--multiple cam archives for one library / interviews

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.