Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks does not recognize SanDisk microSD XC 64GB. Please Help

Mavericks does not recognize SanDisk microSD XC 64GB. FAT-21 formatted. Please Help. I tried the same card readers in both different mavericks (MBP and MAC Pro new) with 2 different microSD 64GB from SanDisk and mavericks says "disk unit not recognized" or something similar. These 2 cards are read perfectly under Windows 7. However, other brands 64GB microSD XC under the same readers and mavericks are read perfectly. ALso these 2 microSDs are working perfectly with my Samsung tablet and MP3 devices.

Something is wrong with Mavericks and SanDisk MicroSD XC. I updated all drivers from the readers for Mac.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), Also for Mac Pro late 2013

Posted on May 19, 2014 2:06 PM

10 replies

May 19, 2014 3:20 PM in response to VikingOSX

No. I did not try yet to insertit in the native SD reader with a micro adapter. I will do it, but anyway I need this solution for my New Mac Pro since it does not have any reader. It must be external. Yes, the cards are brand new and they work perfectly in my Samsung Note 10.1 and Note3 and in other mP3 players. Format is Fat-32, not Fat-21. And, yes, the cards are i the list of SanDisk products. As I said, the same formatting, type and size of other brands they work. It could also be some incompatibility with the readers themselves, but it is weird that Mavericks wouldnot support those readers, standard ones in the market (Trust, Soyntec, Belkin.. all of them working fine with other cards and also with these cards under Windows).

May 19, 2014 7:18 PM in response to Mendocini

It isn't Apple's responsibility to make OS X work with third-party card readers. It is the responsibility of the card reader manufacturer to keep their supporting software and/or hardware compatible with the most recent release of OS X. Most develop for Windows first, and then the Mac.

Check to see if that third-party card reader has updated software specifically for Mavericks. If it says 10.6+ or later, that isn't really a true assurance of Mavericks compatibility.

Here is an Apple Knowledge Base article: About the SD and SDXC card slot. Doesn't pertain to your external reader, but still potentially useful.

May 20, 2014 5:05 AM in response to VikingOSX

Problem solved... I believe: Mavericks does not support native formatting of Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Tablet Note 10.1. I reformat the microSD with Mavericks under ExFAT and now BOTH Samsung and Mavericks (of course) recognize the microSD. In fact when I read the Samsung format under Disk Utilities, the format it read was something not reciognized by me. (not FAT, nor Exfat...). So my advice is to format with exfat the microSD and the microSD is recognized anywhere with all external "and" internal card reader. Thanks for your help anyway.

Jun 17, 2014 8:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

No, NOT A GOOD SOLVE.

I own a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011 running OSX 10.9.3. Owing to some unrelated issue Apple replaced the Motherboard some weeks ago, and all had been fine since then - up to moments ago that is.

Since I bought this Mac I have experienced a few problems, regardless of OS, when trying to read reliable name-brand top line SD cards from my pocket cameras. For some time before a recent OS change I found that insterting an SC card that was made by SanDisk that was no longer being read by my card reading slot, most but not all the way, caused the MacBook to mount the card. Up to a few days ago I had no problems with the Mac reading my SanDisk ULTRA 64GB 30MB/Sec. card.

Today I took the SanDisk card out of my camera, loaded it into the slot, AND MY MAC DOES NOT READ IT. I checked the Mac and it sees a Card Reader:

Built in SD Card Reader:

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x16bc

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Subsystem ID: 0x0000

Revision: 0x0010

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

But does not read the SD Card.

I put the SD Card back into the Canon pocket camera (Powershot S100), and the camera reads the saved images just fine.

I don't care if this card can be read by a Windows device or not (I ran Parallels just to access the card and download the new photos to my desktop - but my Mac simply does not see the SD Card now): the issue is my Mac is inconsistent - and that is not acceptable in any computer.

Jun 19, 2014 6:36 PM in response to martin21045

Appear to have solved the problem I mentioned above by resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). I browsed similar articles (USB Flash loading problems, etc.) and read someone else reset the SMC and that solved their problem, so I did that on my Mac. Note - I DID NOT reset PRAM.

Now I slide the SD card into the MacBook Pro slot, and iPhoto automatically launches and reads the photos on my card.

:-) Mac user again.

Jun 20, 2014 6:54 AM in response to martin21045

Bad followup news. This morning, a day or two after SD card slot started working, I had some device plugged into my USB Port of my MacBook Pro. I then inserted the SD card that I'd reported above was working (after SMC reset) - THE CARD IS NOT RECOGNIZED.

Back to square 1. Tried to reset SMC, but when following Apple instructions to put Mac to sleep I noted it takes several minutes after screen is black to actually hear internal parts (hard disk) go quiet. I'm not sure the SMC ever did reset now as I do not recall seeing the power adapter light blink.

Will have to call Applecare. :-(

May 9, 2015 8:36 PM in response to hopkinsonline

Well, I may have to eat the words I just posted above. First, I have a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 48 MB/s SDHC 32 GB.

I read another post where someone simply inserted the SanDisk into the slot and added as much additional pressure as they could. After reading numerous other posts and trying various recommendations--none of which made any difference--I tried this technique... and my McBook Pro instantly recognized the card. As long as I keep the pressure, it works.

Mavericks does not recognize SanDisk microSD XC 64GB. Please Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.