Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing myself as administrator

I am donating my old iMac PowerPC G4 to charity. I have already securely wiped the hard drive and removed all applications that did not ship with the operating system.

How do I remove myself as sole administrator and remove my password?

I want to eliminate all traces referencing my email, name, or other personal data.

I'd like to leave the computer set up for new owner to power up and set up their personal information?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.1), PowerPC G4 (3.3)

Posted on May 19, 2014 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2014 7:42 AM

Hello M4SAVELL,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you are wanting to remove your information from your computer, you would need to do what is called an erase and install. Please follow the article below that explains the process:

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1545

Erase and Install

This option completely erases the destination volume, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. You should always back up important files on the target volume before using this type of installation.

This is the fastest way to install Mac OS X, but it may take some time to set up your computer after installation. You will have to configure all of your computer settings, install your third-party and iLife applications, and restore your personal files from the backup you made.

Why use this option?

• If you've already backed up your computer, this might be a good choice if you are trying to resolve an existing issue and an Archive and Install installation didn't help.
  • This option takes up the least amount of space when the installation is completed.
  • This is a good option if you no longer need the information on the computer, and you have another computer that you would like to easily transfer stuff from ("migrate").

Take care,

Alex H.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2014 7:42 AM in response to M4SAVELL

Hello M4SAVELL,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you are wanting to remove your information from your computer, you would need to do what is called an erase and install. Please follow the article below that explains the process:

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1545

Erase and Install

This option completely erases the destination volume, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. You should always back up important files on the target volume before using this type of installation.

This is the fastest way to install Mac OS X, but it may take some time to set up your computer after installation. You will have to configure all of your computer settings, install your third-party and iLife applications, and restore your personal files from the backup you made.

Why use this option?

• If you've already backed up your computer, this might be a good choice if you are trying to resolve an existing issue and an Archive and Install installation didn't help.
  • This option takes up the least amount of space when the installation is completed.
  • This is a good option if you no longer need the information on the computer, and you have another computer that you would like to easily transfer stuff from ("migrate").

Take care,

Alex H.

Removing myself as administrator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.