Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 Charge Icon Not Present in iTunes 11.2.1?

Hi everyone,

I've got an iPad 2 64GB 3G/WiFi device running iOS7 (current version), and I've noticed that recently (likely since the last iTunes updates) that the charge icon in iTunes no longer shows up when the device is plugged in via USB. Oddly enough, my old iPhone 3GS continues to have the charge icon show up. The icons I am referring to are all in the DEVICES section of the iTunes menu along the left-hand side.

What seems to be happening is that when I plug the iPad in for the first time after a reboot, the charge icon shows up. Then, after a few minutes the icon disappears. I get a green light in the top right corner of my iPad, showing a connection, and a lightning bolt, and an icon showing 100% charge.

Is this all by design that the device stops taking a charge after it is fully charged? It used to be that the iTunes icon showed a battery with a plug to indicate it was on AC power.

I have tried doing a hard reset of my iPad, as well as rebooting the MacBook Pro (mid-2009 version) several times. I also recently upgraded my RAM in my laptop, but that seems like an unlikely thing to have an issue with. I have tried different USB ports on the MacBook Pro and on the Apple Cinema Display to which it is connected. I should note that everything synchronizes just fine. I plug in the USB port, the s

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 19, 2014 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2014 6:53 PM

The iPad requires more power than is provided by the USB connection on the computer (at least that is what happens with mine). I receive a notification showing that the iPad is not charging. This can be considered expected behaviour if the port in use does not provide sufficient power.

6 replies

May 23, 2014 2:33 AM in response to SeanInVancouver

It's not just you!

I've an iPad Air and an iPhone 5s, as you say, both will show battery charge level when 1st plugged in, and both will disappear after a few minutes. Must be an iTunes 11.2 and 11.2.1 bug.

Always showed it before, but not any more. Very annoying as need to wake the device to see charge level, rather than look on the screen in iTunes!.User uploaded file

Charge level gone from next to capacity!!

iPad 2 Charge Icon Not Present in iTunes 11.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.