Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving Podcast app notifications

I'm on the latest version of the Podcasts app. I have some episodes to download automatically and others to not, but i'm not receiving any push notifications when new episodes become available. It doesn't matter if their the ones that get downloaded or not, just not seeing any notifications.

Anybody having the same issue or know a way to fix it? I have checked the notifications section in Settings and everything is turned on for it.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on May 19, 2014 7:47 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2014 6:35 AM in response to casein2006

Hi casein2006,

The article below has some great tips that may be able to help, like making sure your subscriptions are active and verifying both the default and specific podcast settings.

Podcasts for iOS: Managing and organizing subscriptions

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6190

Notification badges: Once you've subscribed to a podcast, you may notice a badge on the Podcasts app. This shows the number of podcast episodes newly available since you last opened the app. Once you open the app, the badge will disappear until new podcast episodes are available.
User uploaded file

If you're browsing your subscriptions in My Podcasts, you'll see red badges next to your podcasts if you're in tile view or just a number next to each podcast in list view. These badges show you the number of episodes of each podcast that are unplayed.
User uploaded file User uploaded file

Settings
There are two places you can change subscription settings for your podcasts.

• Default settings: From your Home screen, tap Settings and then Podcasts. These settings are shared by all of your podcast subscriptions. These are known as default podcast settings.
    User uploaded file User uploaded file
    • Refresh Every: You can choose how often your iOS device checks for new episodes to your subscriptions. It's set to check every six hours by default.
    • Limit Episodes: You can pick how many episodes you see for subscriptions.
    • Download Episodes: The latest episodes of your podcasts will download automatically if your iOS device is connected to Wi-Fi.
    • Delete Played Episodes: If this is turned on, episodes will delete 24 hours after you finish playing them.
    • Use Cellular Data: If your iOS device has a cellular connection, you can allow downloads to use cellular data when Wi-Fi isn't available. This is off by default. Downloads using cellular data are limited to 100MB per episode. If an episode is larger than that, it won't start downloading until you're connected to Wi-Fi.
  • Podcast-specific settings: The second place you'll find subscription settings is within the Podcasts app. Tap a podcast subscription under My Podcasts and pull down with one finger to reveal the settings buttons. These settings are unique to each subscription. If you don't change anything here, the podcast subscription will just use the default settings. If you do make changes to a specific subscription’s settings, they'll only apply to that podcast.
    User uploaded file User uploaded fileUser uploaded file
    • Play: This setting lets you change the order in which a subscription plays. If you're listening to a news style podcast, you may want to set this to play the new episodes first. If the series is more episodic, you may prefer to play oldest to newest.
    • Sort Order: This changes the sort order of episodes that appear for a podcast (not its playback order).
    • Subscribed: When this is on, new episodes of this podcast will be marked as unplayed as they become available.
    • Refresh Every: You can choose how often your iOS device checks for new episodes to your subscriptions. It's set to check every six hours by default.
    • Limit Episodes: You can pick how many episodes you see for subscriptions.
    • Download Episodes: The latest episodes of your podcasts will download automatically.
    • Delete Played Episodes: If this is on, episodes will be deleted 24 hours after you finish playing them unless you've marked them as Saved.

Inactive subscriptions
If you do not play or access a subscription within 15 days, your subscription to that podcast will go inactive and you will no longer receive updates to it. As soon as you access the subscription again it will refresh.

-Jason

May 22, 2014 8:04 PM in response to Jason L

Okay, this is all correct and is what is happening. My question though was, i was under the impression that when a new episode was either automatically downloaded in thd background/a new episode is available, that it would send you a push notification just like any other app. You know, like say a iMessage notification on the lockscreen or any other type of app.

Am i incorrect?

Jun 3, 2014 7:58 PM in response to Jason L

this is what i am seeing in Settings.app and then tapping on the Notification Center section and then scrolling down until i see the Podcasts app icon.

User uploaded file

as you can see, everything enabled including "Banners" which to me means when a new episode of a podcast is available i should receive a push notification saying that a new episode is available and that is what is not happening. i am not getting notified of new episodes

Not receiving Podcast app notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.