Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad 1 won't restore--Itunes error 40

So i have followed various links from this community, and my ipad 1 still won't restore--i keep getting error 40 on Itunes, on two different computers.

I have no security software on either computer, so kinda doubt that is the problem--but even if it was, i have not found any specific instructions on how to change the settings in said software.

if my problem IS hardware, what are my options at this point?

thanks!

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 19, 2014 9:20 PM

3 replies

May 22, 2014 7:37 AM in response to lemenos

Hello, lemenos.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Here are steps that I would recommend going through when receiving error 40.

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

Try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good. Also, confirm your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Error 1015 might happen after making unauthorized modifications to iOS, also called "jailbreaking."

Resolve specific iTunes update and restore errors

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694#USB

Cheers,

Jason H.

May 22, 2014 11:16 AM in response to jason269

Hey Jason,

Thanks for that, but i already followed all those links to no avail. As i mentioned, i don't have any security software on my mac, so doubt that is the problem. also, this is not a jailbreaked ipad.

I have also tried at least ten times to restore the ipad, using different computers.

any ideas what to do next?

thanks much,

Les

Ipad 1 won't restore--Itunes error 40

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.