Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone personal hotspot not working

iphone 4 gsm 7.1.1

can connect but wont browse, any device. Windows says limited

all other devices can use other wifi services without issue.

iPhone will connect via cellular data and wifi no issues

So everthing is working except the personal hotspot, although my other devices see it and connect to it without issue, just cannot browse or ping anything.

I did note on my ipad that it shows a chain link icon in the top left rather than the traditional wifi icon when connected to the hotspot. relevant?

Maybe this is a carrier issue? Im with Talk and Save (Rogers) in Canada.

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:33 AM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:29 AM in response to brenden dv

I had the same problem and fixed it as follows...

It appears to be caused by an underpowered wireless adapter. The default settings on the laptop need to be changed in Power Options.

• Go to Control Panel > Power Options.
  • On the Power Options screen, click Change plan settings for the selected Power Plan
  • On the Edit Plan Settings screen click Change advanced power settings.
  • On the Advanced Power Settings screen, click the + sign next to Wireless Adapter Settings. Then the + sign for Power Saving Mode. The setting for battery is probably Medium Power Saving.
  • Change it to Maximum Performance. If the Plugged In setting is not at Maximum Performance, you should change that one as well.

Depending on the Power Plan you run, you may need to change the settings for the Power Saver Power Plan as well. Same steps apply as above.

iphone personal hotspot not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.