Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager iMacs auto-enrollment issue: Only ‘placeholders’ being added? (but manual enrollment with My devices portal works fine)

Hello,

I am struggling with auto-enrolment our iMacs to Profile Manager (Profile Manager runs on OS X 10.9.2, Server app 3.1.1).

I was testing 3 methods:

1. Manual enrollment with My devices portal:

- iMacs appearing in Profile Manager as devices, everything works

2. Auto-enrollment as DeployStudio task (after re-imaging):

- Automatic enrolment task added as last one in the Workflow

- Enrollment profile and Trust profile specified, ‘Automate’ option ticked

- iMacs appearing in Profile Manager as placeholders only

3. Auto-enrollment as Remote Desktop task:

- Trust profile renamed to start with letter ‘A’ (because OS X loads the profiles in alphabetical order)

- Trust profile and Enrolment profile copied to iMacs to /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Setup

- iMacs restarted

- iMacs appearing in Profile Manager as placeholders only

I am really lost here...

Has anyone found a way to auto-enroll OS X devices to Profile manager?

Thank you,

Jacob.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 1:56 AM

New in version 5.4 no configure Open Directory, and the method does not help.

User uploaded file

12 replies

May 20, 2014 4:17 PM in response to JacobKuj

We just started heavily using Profile Manager in the last few months, finally switching from Workgroup Manager/Server 10.6.8.

We use method #2 and figured that placeholders are by design. For us, between faculty/staff, labs in different locations across campus and so on, we want new machines to not automatically be assigned anywhere. You'd need to manually put them in a group or groups once, at least that is what we do.

I've noted, once done, that even after reimage with DeployStudio and auto (re)enrollement, they'll rememeber their group assignments and not be placeholders again (unless of course you remove them from Profile Manager.)

Does that make sense? It seems to work for us.

May 21, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Steven Major

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying, that a place holder will convert to a device after placing it into device group?

It does not work for me.

Auto enrollment creates place holder for WAT-A301-08.

‘TEST’ device group has been created. The place holder is now a member of 'TEST'.

WAT-A301-08 stays as place holder.

For comparison you can see device WAT-316-051510. That iMac has been enrolled with My devices portal.

User uploaded file

I must be doing something wrong…

Could someone explain it to me, please?

May 22, 2014 8:34 AM in response to JacobKuj

Whoops, I was a little off on my previous post. I'm actually at work doing some deployments, so I'm watching it.

They seem to remain placeholders until the machine that is enrolled makes contact with the server after DeployStudio enrolls it.

For us, that's the first reboot after DeployStudio when their computer is registered for network access (but that's specific to us.)

Because our network relies on that registration for the computer to be able to talk to OS X server (or anything at all) I can't tell you if it is the act of just a first reboot that makes the place holder turn into a real machine record or the first login.

They'll still need to manually be put in a group the first time after that as I described above.

Jul 9, 2014 6:46 PM in response to JacobKuj

So I'm sort of new to PM, but I thought I would offer my advice so far.

First, I don't *think* this could have anything to do with internet/network connection or not having a first communicade. Assuming that your device isn't present in Profile Manager at all, when you enroll it - that's something happening from the client side. The server doesn't know you are applying an Enrollment Profile until the enrolled device reaches out to the server and says "hey enroll me with this!"

Therefore, the fact that even a Placeholder is getting created seems to be evidence that communication is happening between client/server.

I am going to assume that in your 3 scenarios above that all else is equal. For instance all machines are on the same subnet/network etc and that can't be playing a factor. What I would be interested in seeing is for you to do one of two things:

1) Manually run the Trust Profile and Enrollment Profile .mobileconfig that you download from MyDevices. This isn't exactly the same as just clicking on "Enroll" in my devices.

2) Login to the MyDevices portal as an admin user and you should see all the Enrollment Profiles listed there - Enroll from there and see how it goes.

If they are working by manually running, but not via your deployment task, that might be somewhat telling.

I suppose there is a slight possibility that different ports are used when you just click "Enroll" vs use the .MobileConfig files and that somehow there is enough communication to create the Placeholder, but not to fully register it? I think that's a longshot though.

On this same topic, I'm also going to throw a related question in the mix:

When you go to delete a device from within your list is has the options "Unenroll" or "Revert to Placeholder."

If you choose Unenroll, it reaches out to the device and removes the profile and ALSO reverts it to Placeholder.

If you choose "Revert to Placeholder" it seems to leave it in a state where the server thinks its just a Placeholder, but the client still has the policies applied and from the client end all looks well. I can't see a great reason why to use this option?

Update:

So I read a couple other things that may be germane to your situation.

1) I might not be wrong with my suspicion of only some firewall ports being open...so confirm that all the required ones are.

2) I read about a similar problem and the solution was making sure the device was registered to a user. This might make sense because when you login to MyDevices you are doing it as a user account, but when you just Deploy Enroll it is "user-less." I'm not fully sure the full ramifications of this yet, but it is something to try(?)

Jul 23, 2014 8:33 AM in response to BJH75

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and again I am really sorry for being late to the topic.

I will check the firewall requirements - our network is based on two domains and multiple vlans and I have to talk to our network admin about that.

When I download and manually install .mobileconfig files (using System Preferences.app) - starting with trust profile and then the enrolment profile - the device will register. It will be „user-less” and in the place of user I will see a serial number.

Is that getting us somewhere?

Feb 24, 2015 4:39 AM in response to JacobKuj

Hi Chris,

Finally, after calling with Apple etc. I've managed to figure out what the problem was.

Obviously you need to check the basics: Network and IP Addresses. DNS and Firewall.

Also, on the mac itself, go to http://"servername"/mydevices (I.E. alpha.company.local/mydevices) and try to manually enroll.

If this doesn't work, I've founded out that my solution was due to an error with my Open Directory. It couldn't load the master server and that caused my devices to not be able to fully-enroll since there was no Open Directory that could save the devices in a proper way.

I disabled all services in my Server App and then I opened Terminal to run the following command: sudo slapconfig -destroyldapserver

Then I went back into my server app and enabled Open directory by creating a new Master Controller. This all worked and then my devices were able to be deleted and fully enrolled.

Hope this helps you!

May 26, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Office IT Support

Hello, I have re-done open directory. But the devices still appear as placeholders?

^^ I can only add devices (albeit as placeholders) when I manually go to \mydevices and hit the enrol button.

I also ge the following when I try to add devices via the profile method \mydevices 'profile' tab

Profile installation failed: The server certificate for https://mymacserver.wan/devicemanagement/api/device/auto_join_ota_service is invalid.

Any ideas?

Profile Manager iMacs auto-enrollment issue: Only ‘placeholders’ being added? (but manual enrollment with My devices portal works fine)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.