Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not install Maverick

I have successfully downloaded Maverick.

But when I clicked on 'install' I got the message: Can not install on HD MacIntosh because that drive is used for Time Machine.

[Actually I have Time Machine set to use an external hard drive.]

So I used System Preferences to simply turn off Time Machine.

Then I tried to again to install Maverick.

This time I simply got the message "Can not install Maverick on HD MacIntosh.

With no way to determine why, at least none I could figure.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 20, 2014 5:26 AM

10 replies

May 20, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Eric Root

This info looked just right. But it didn't work.

I put Backups.backupdb in the Trash. Then I emptied the Trash (but not the locked items). Then I put the folder Backups.backupdb back into Desktop.

And tried then to install the OS X Mavericks that I had downloaded weeks ago. Same issue: none of the three icons for the options are available. They all are in gray.

Macintosh HD is where I want it. The other two are a partioned hard drive: Time Machine and SuperDuper.

I wondered if the instruction to place the Backups.backupdb to the DESKTOP was accurate? Maybe they meant back to the root--Macintosh HD. So I started to do that but got the message: User uploaded file

Not sure I want to do that.

May 21, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Eric Root

First of all, I simply ejected the external hard drive. It is patitioned into current Time Machine and complete back up (bootable) to Super Duper. Just to have only one drive, MacIntosh HD...simplifying.

I placed, again, the backups.backupdb folder into the Trash. Then I emptied the Trash.

Then I opened Trash and there was nothing there. No backups.backupdb folder to move.

So I simply created a new folder in the root MacIntosh HD, naming the folder backups.backupdb

Tried to install the OS X Mavericks. No go. Same problem. I get to the page with the icon of MacIntosh HD and that is grayed out, inaccessible.

In writing this I wondered if I had titled the folder exactly correctly -- is it backups.backsupdb OR backups.backupdb? I decided I'd rename it to the former, just to see if that worked. BUT ... I am not allowed, it seems, to rename it. Other folders in the root drive I can rename.

Next step????

can not install Maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.