Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant activate keychain cause the phone number on my iCloud changed! Tips?

I just got a new iPhone 5c today because water damage ruined the touch screen on my old iPhone 4. I want to activate iCloud Keychain but the phone number attached to my iCloud account is my old number, as I got a new one today. When it sends the security code, it's being sent to my old phone which I can't access because the touch screen doesn't work. Any tips on getting around this situation would help!!

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:17 PM

Go do a different iOS device or Mac that has iCloud keychain enabled and change the number as follows:

• Devices using iOS 7.0.3 or later: Tap Settings > iCloud > Account, then tap Keychain. Check that the phone number listed under Verification Number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.
  • Macs using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later: Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then click Account Details. Check that the phone number listed under Verification number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2014 3:17 PM in response to bnmillsss

Go do a different iOS device or Mac that has iCloud keychain enabled and change the number as follows:

• Devices using iOS 7.0.3 or later: Tap Settings > iCloud > Account, then tap Keychain. Check that the phone number listed under Verification Number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.
  • Macs using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later: Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then click Account Details. Check that the phone number listed under Verification number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.

Jul 6, 2014 1:00 PM in response to randers4

This does not work.

- When using the iOS way the screen Settings > iCloud > Account > Keychain shows "approve with security code" grayed out. No telephone number anywhere.

- When using Apple () menu > System Preferences > iCloud > Account Details, there is no option to change anything at all. You can, however, go to "Manage Apple ID" and change your phone number. Even so, the SMS code is still being sent to the wrong number.

Jul 6, 2014 1:37 PM in response to randers4

Already did that and still does not work. But I have found a solution:

On the iOS, when typing the iCloud passcode (4 digit), go to the "I forgot my password" option. You will be asked to repair the keychain saved configurations, choose yes. Then, type a new iCloud passcode (or the same as the previous one) and, finally, your phone number. Your mac should be able to see your iphone now to finish the keychain activation.

Sometimes Apple support is more a hindrance than a help!

Cant activate keychain cause the phone number on my iCloud changed! Tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.