Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you replace optical drive in a non unibody (early 2008) MacBook Pro with a SATA HDD/SDD?

I have been doing LOTS of research on upgrading my Early 2008 MacBook Pro recently and have come to the conclusion that a SSD is the best way to run Mavericks and my commonly used applications smoothly. I have upgraded the RAM to 6GB (I dont want to test 8GB like people say) I just purchased a 1TB HDD and don't want to lose out on the storing ability of such a spacious drive. Is there a way to remove the LEGACY and USELESS optical drive from my computer and replace it with my 1TB HDD? Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from someone about this soon!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 20, 2014 4:00 PM

25 replies

May 20, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the help Kappy. A couple more questions if you don't mind. So IF I can find a Caddy/Data Doubler for my optical bay, the UATA100 interface COULD run my HDD but it wouldn't be at its full potential? Also, by any chance do you think (this is my thought process) that its running at UATA66 only because it is currently just reading and writing discs and that if I plugged the HDD into it that it would use its full potential (UATA100)? If a 1TB SSD was cheap enough I wouldn't even be here....but it isn't and I have about 100-200GB worth of media that needs to be stored.

Thanks for all the help buddy.

May 20, 2014 4:32 PM in response to Legacy2008Upgrader

First, I don't know if OWC's Data Doubler will fit your model. You will need to check on that. Second, you will not be able to use your SATA HDD in the optical bay. Completely different connectors. You would need to find an Ultra100 IDE hard drive. I'm not sure how easy that will be considering they are not much in use these days. I'm unsure you can find one that has a 200 GB capacity or more.

Can you replace optical drive in a non unibody (early 2008) MacBook Pro with a SATA HDD/SDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.