Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linear PCM Little Endian

I have a bunch of MOV files that are

Video is H264 MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

Audio is PCM s16 LE (sowt) Mono 32khz 16 bit

The files worked fine in 10.8 and earlier, but in 10.9 they stopped working in Quicklook, QT10, etc. They still work in QT7.

It appears the problem is the audio codec.... I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to get these files working in QT10 again?

Thanks!

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 20, 2014 4:54 PM

10 replies

May 20, 2014 6:19 PM in response to foowho

I have a bunch of MOV files that are

Video is H264 MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)

Audio is PCM s16 LE (sowt) Mono 32khz 16 bit

The files worked fine in 10.8 and earlier, but in 10.9 they stopped working in Quicklook, QT10, etc. They still work in QT7.

It appears the problem is the audio codec.... I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to get these files working in QT10 again?

Unable to duplicate the problem. Test file (http://downloads.walker4.me/Temporary_files/09%20Ketcham%20Power.m4v.temp.mov) created using your stated specs plays fine on my system under Mavericks in QL, QT X, and QT 7, as well as, third-party players like VLC. Can you post a sample file for examination?

User uploaded file

May 20, 2014 7:17 PM in response to foowho

The files is available here;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xmBtcIB011YjFmRk90VEE4R1U/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

No trouble downloading file. File plays with audio and video in QT X, QT 7, and VLC on my system. QL did not like the audio so I used QT 7 to export the file to an MP4 H.264 (video passthrough) with AAC (mono 64 Kbps@ 44.1 KHz Mac typical setting) which then played correctly in everything.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 8:13 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks Jon,

Yes, it works in VLC and QT7. My concern is QL and QTX, since those seem to be in use throughout the system. I'm surprised that you got it to work in QTX, since I tried it on three different machines and it didn't work on any of them. You must have an additional codec installed in QTX that works for this version of PCM, which is exactly what I'm after :-) Any idea where it came from?

Thanks!

May 21, 2014 10:11 AM in response to foowho

You must have an additional codec installed in QTX that works for this version of PCM, which is exactly what I'm after :-) Any idea where it came from?

Only codecs installed are the ones tht came with Mac OS X Mavericks, QT Pro Codecs (installed by FCP), Perian, and Flip4Mac.

Try this file: http://downloads.walker4.me/Temporary_files/IMGP2585%20Copy1.mov

If the above file works in QL and QT X and you are using Mavericks, then try the following on one of your other files.

1) Open file in QT 7 Pro player.

2) Use "Save As..." option to resave the file as a standalone file with changed clip name.

3) Test newly saved file in QL and an QT X.

Don't know what workflow you used to originally create the files/mux the data but it appears your old files trip securty trapping associated with AVFoundation. In any case, to get around the security issue, I tried both the QT 7 "Movie to MPEG-4" (passthrough video with PCM converted to AAC) and the QT 7 "Save As..." workflow to get the data into file containers that will open in QT X and play audio in QL which does not actually open the file container/trip security trapping. Since you didn't describe your workflow, I neglected to mention the "Save As..." workaround but did mention the MP4 file option since it is compatible with all current operating systems and versions of QT. Sorry!

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 10:19 AM in response to Jon Walker

Hi Jon,

Yes that file works in QL and QTX.

The issue I have is that the original videos are the native MOV format of the Pentax WG-2. As such, I have hundreds (if not thousands) of these files. They worked perfectly on all previous version of OSX back to 10.5. (which is as far as I have tested.) I am ideally looking for a way to "fix" 10.9 vs. transcoding all these files.

Really I just need to get them working in iPhoto and iMovie... iPhoto seems to be using QL and can't play the file at all. iMovie plays video, but not audio.

Thanks

May 21, 2014 10:40 AM in response to foowho

I am ideally looking for a way to "fix" 10.9 vs. transcoding all these files.

No transcode involved with the QT 7 Pro "Save As..." workflow. In this case the data in the older file that QT 7 can open is rewritten to an MOV file container that is "security" compatible with AVFoundation playback in QT X v10.3 and QL under Mavericks. Believe this is a possible entension of the issue some users have getting MOV files recorded with certain Apple mobile device models to open under Mavericks. (I.e., they get a message saying the file is possibly damaged.) Basically, it seems Mavericks QT X and QL don't like something about the file container your digital camera created and QT 7 moves the original data to a file container QT X and QL can use under Mavericks. It's probabaly something in one of the file headers causing the problem. Check for a camera firmware update.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Jon Walker

I suppose no transcoding is good news... now I just need a free batch tool that I can use to update all my files :-) Plus all the new files coming off the camera.

If the issue is just a container problem (i.e. needs to be AVF compatible), does that also explain why is there no audio in iMovie? Seems like there is a audio codec issue here too.

The more I learn about Mavericks... the more I think Mountain Lion is the answer.

May 21, 2014 2:45 PM in response to foowho

I suppose no transcoding is good news... now I just need a free batch tool that I can use to update all my files :-) Plus all the new files coming off the camera.

MPEG Streamclip includes batch processing (see "List" Menu) and uses the same QT 7 32-bit structure embedded in Mavericks. (Just tested a "Save As... " copy of your original file and it works the same as the previous test file posted.)

If the issue is just a container problem (i.e. needs to be AVF compatible), does that also explain why is there no audio in iMovie? Seems like there is a audio codec issue here too.

Yes. basically it means that any player using the AVFoundation will have a problem. Since virtually all video playing apps now access the AVFoundation from within the running app (e.g., QT X, iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, etc.) or OS (e.g., QL), they all exhibit the same issue—either the file will not open or it won't play the audio. I don't believe this is a codec issue as such but rather a security issue for which the structure is not properly programmed to cope and you should be filing bug reports to bring this issue to the attention of Apple.

The more I learn about Mavericks... the more I think Mountain Lion is the answer.

I personally downgraded my system back to Moutain Lion and was quite happly until recent updates forced a return in order to properly stream thousands of movie and TV episodes to various devices/computers requiring Mavericks/IOS 7 compatibility. Other mavericks issues include the loss of certain features like the Safari Command-I/Share Menu option to create working HTML newsletters in the Mail app. (I.e., you now have to Command-C copy the HTML newsletter to memory and manually paste it back into a newly composed message to get all of the links and image references to save/work properly in a sent mesxsage.) Also have to frequently relaunch the Finder to reclaim memory allocated to apps even after I have closed them following latest updates since I normally leave my system on 24-7 for access by members of my family living in other cities.

User uploaded file

Linear PCM Little Endian

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.