Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move iDVD app from my old iMac to my new MacBook Pro?

Is it possible to move the iDVD app from my old iMac to my new MBP?

thank you for your consideration.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 20, 2014 6:27 PM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2017 10:50 AM in response to kkkttt

Either copy the the app to a flash drive or EHD from one Mac, connect it to the other Mac and copy to the Application folder.

Or connect the two Macs together via local WAN or Target Disk Mode, Transferring files between two computers using FireWire, and copy. Be sure to copy the iDVD folder with the Themes from its location on the first Mac to the same location on the other Mac.

Apr 3, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Old Toad

On my iMac, I am confused because I see two different iDVD folders. I might have downloaded another copy I think once. Anyways, there is one folder in two different locations.

Location 1:

Mac HD... Library... Application Support... iDVD: in this folder there is a folder for "Themes", which has 7 folders for 1 to 7.

Location 2:

My user folder... Library... Application Support... iDVD: in this folder there is folder with a slightly different title, "Installed Themes". However, this folder only has 6 folders for 1 to 6.

When I open iDVD on my iMac, all the themes from old, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 are there.

Apr 4, 2017 1:13 PM in response to kkkttt

Yay... I was successful in transferring all of iDVD, including all seven theme folders (for 7.0, 6.0, 5.0 and Old). I used my 4GB thumb drive. I made sure the location on the MacBook was exactly where my iMac has the app and the correct folders with all seven themes folders.

So, this is where everything is stored and it works perfectly:

~ iDVD app (with the icon) - stored in Mac HD, Applications.

~ iDVD folder, which includes the 7 Themes folders - stored in Mac HD, Library, Application Support

Fyi... I also deleted that other secondary location on my iMac that I somehow had a "duplicate" iDVD folder which was not read by my system. Now, both my iMac and MacBook have the same folders in the same place and iDVD pulls up great. Of course, it will mostly burn properly in the MacBook because of the earlier OS in it. I could not get my long movie to burn on my iMac using Sierra after many attempts. I had chapter markers in it that I created using MetaDoctor (easy program for $5). However, when I Airdropped the archived iDVD movie to the MacBook, it burned without any problem to a dvd using my Apple Superdrive. My movie even had the chapter markers (scene selections) with the MetaDoctor program and there was no problem. I didn't even have to use the older iMovie for the chapter markers.

So, it was great that I was able to:

create my 1hr 50m movie in the latest iMovie on my iMac,

save it to a file,

open it in QuickTime,

convert it to a .mov file,

import it to MetaDoctor program,

easily add my 14 chapter markers in it,

save it,

then drag it to my iDVD project (while still on my iMac with Sierra) which created the scene selections instantly.

My iDVD theme was Confetti.

I also had another 1m 35s mini loop video on the main menu page, and a photo in the display box in the other three menu pages.

When that was done, I selected to archive (File... Archive Project) the iDVD project so it can keep all its media used in it together wherever it is saved to. Then I dragged the archived project in AirDrop to the MacBook.

After it downloaded there, I opened up the movie file I sent, which automatically opened the iDVD on her MacBook that I had installed there.

In iDVD I selected Professional Quality and Maximum burn.

All I did next was clicked to burn, and put in a dvd in the superdrive I connected to it. Done, 3 hrs later. No issues because the MacBook has Yosemite.

May 21, 2014 1:25 AM in response to croixmom99

Yes.

Old Toad’s recommended installation method for copying iDVD from another Mac:

1 - copy your current iDVD application from the old Mac to the Applications folder of the new Mac. The latest version available is 7.1.2. If you don't have that version go to the Apple Downloads site and download the iDVD 7.1.2 updater and run it on your current iDVD application.

2 - copy the iDVD folder that resides in the old Mac's HD/Library/Application Support folder to the same folder on your new Mac.

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

Can I move iDVD app from my old iMac to my new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.