Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my Logic Express 8 projects work with Logic Pro X?

I have hundreds of Logic Express 8 projects on my Snow Leopard mac. I have all the "Apple Loops" installed and my projects all use these loops. I'm thinking of upgrading to Mavericks, so I can get Logic Pro X. But i am not sure how the loops are affected. Logic Pro X comes with all the loops as part of the distribution. Will it install a new set of loops, or override my existing loops? If I open a Logic Express 8 project, will it find the new loops, or will it still be looking for the old ones? I know that Mavericks no longer supports Rosetta, so I can not actaully install the Apple Loops from their original DVDs, since the install app requires Rosetta.

My delema is I don't want to updgrade then find out all my old projects no longer load. Has anyone had any experience with this? How can I get a definiative answer? Can I call Apple and ask? Will I get someone knowlagable?

Thanks in advance.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s

Posted on May 21, 2014 7:03 AM

6 replies

May 21, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo:

While I have no real experience with Logic Pro, I do have much experience and advice for those who upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and some "theoretical" advice about Logic Pro 8.

INITIAL ADVICE:

Backup or clone your Snow Leopard environment before upgrading to Mavericks.

DO NOT install Mavericks over Snow Leopard, as it will destroy your Snow Leopard Environment.

In theory, Logic Pro 8 will run in Mavericks, but with two problems:

1) The installer application will not work and claim to be a "rosetta/powerpc" problem, but it really appears to be a "bug" in the installer application that arises in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks.

The solution to this problem should be to partition your hard drive or add an external drive and install Snow Leopard again to this new partition. Then install Logic Pro 8 and all of your loops and prior data and then upgrade to Mavericks.

2) The second problem is that I have read reports on this forum (and you can search to find them) that Mavericks causes visual "noise" to be apparent on your sound files' time line, rendering it impossible to work with.

If that is truly the case, then my advise would be (in lieu of my advice above): Partition or add an external drive and install Mavericks on that new partition. Use the "dual-boot" method (System Preferences:Startup Disk) to determine which flavor of OS X you boot into, Snow Leopard or Mavericks.

Then you can boot into Snow Leopard as you need to access older Logic Pro 8 files and Mavericks as you need to work with Logic Pro X.

In theory, you can follow both of my advised plans, so that you would have Logic Pro 8 and loops in both partitions, in the event that someone finds a "fix" for Logic Pro 8 to work in Mavericks. Use Logic Pro 8 in Snow Leopard until such time as the "fix" is found, but have already installed it into the "new" Snow Leopard which is then upgraded to Mavericks if and when the "fix" is found.

If you follow this approach, I would recommend that a third partition be established for the clean installation of Mavericks and Logic Pro X be used there, so that there is not interaction between the two versions of this program.

May 21, 2014 3:25 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

I would be doing this on my son's mac. He has lots of stuff on it. He uses Logic Express and Final Cut Pro X. He is happy with what he has, but I can read the signs and it appears that support for Snow Leopard is disapearing. Plus all the new stuff (new versions) won't be supported on SL. But, if he's happy with what he is using, is it really worth messing with at this point?

He has a mac mini with several extenal drives. It wouldn't be to hard to do what you suggest. Plus it would be a good idea to see if Mavericks works with all the stuff he has. I could basically just set up a single account on that other partition and install all the stuff he is used to. He could boot it and play around. That would help make up my mind that Mavericks is ok. I'm generally of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

It sounds like you have to have Snow Leopard first, to be able to install the loops, etc., then overlay Mavericks on it. Eventually we may want to get Logic Pro X, but I don't want to spend the money if I don't really need any of the new functionality. I do have a copy of Logic Express 9 that I brought from my brother, so I can hopefully get past the weird display bug. I assume 9 doesn't reformat my projects? If so, I could make copies of them just to test out in 9. If I end up doing this, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Will my Logic Express 8 projects work with Logic Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.