Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi no internet connection regardless of OS

Quick summary. Internet was working fine up until 2 weeks ago. The wi-fi pizza slice has the whole '!' thing going on whilst im in Mavericks.

The problem is that it also doesn't work when i boot into my windows partition.

Now i thought the problem could be with the router but due to the setup in my girlfriends university block its just acting as a Wireless Access Point.

I have an early 08 macbook alu-unibody.

Everything else can connect to the internet through Wi-Fi without issue

.Girlfriends Laptop (not a macbook)

.My Iphone 4s

.Her Motorolla G

.PS3

.3DS

.PSP

So as far as i can tell the problem must be in my macbook somewhere. It seems like the DHCP is giving it the wrong address. Everything else on the network has the ip 172.24.1.XXX whereas my macbook gets given 192.168.1.XXX.

I have tried so far.

.Booting into Windows 7 (Same problem)

.Resetting PRAM and SMC

.Restoring WNR2200 (wireless router) to factory settings and setting up as W.A.P again.

.Changing the wireless password and router name.

.Changing Wireless Channel.

.Manually entering the internet settings. (Gets rid of the '!' but still not internet)

So i'm kinda stumped..... Help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I CAN connect to the internet through a W.A.P near me (on the same network) that doesn't have a password. It would appear this assigns me an IP that works.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), Early 08 Unibody

Posted on May 21, 2014 7:36 AM

1 reply

May 23, 2014 12:58 PM in response to Community User

Hi Oozysauce!

I have a couple of articles for you that can help you address this issue. As stated in the following article, your computer has a self-assigned local IP address:

Mac OS X v10.6: Exclamation icon displayed in Wi-Fi menu after entering a WEP password

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3611

Resolution

This may occur if the password isn't provided in the format required by the network.

To learn how to adjust the format of the password so that it will be accepted, see this article: Joining an encrypted wireless network.

If the suggested resolution above does not resolve your issue, you will want to use this article to troubleshoot the issue further:

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Braden

Wi-Fi no internet connection regardless of OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.