Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't erase, mount or unmount external hard drive

My late 2008 Macbook failed to boot properly the other day, giving me a grey screen with the Apple logo, the rotating gear, and a progress bar, before shutting down again when the progress bar reached about 15%. The same thing happened when trying to boot in safe mode, but I was able to boot into Recovery Mode. Following suggestions on here, I restored the contents of the computer's hard drive to a formatted external hard drive using the Disk Utility with the intention of then reinstalling OSX, then restoring back from the external HD. It seems though that this has transferred whatever problem the Macbook's internal HD had to the external one.

Using a separate working desktop computer, I plugged in the external HD, which recognises it in the Disk Utility, but can't mount any volumes. I have tried to mount the volumes both from the Disk Utility and Terminal. I can't repair the external HD because it can't be mounted, however nor can I erase the HD because - Disk Utility and Terminal (even using 'force') claim - at least one volume can't be *unmounted*. I ran lsof in the terminal on the separate partitions of the external HD, and nothing came up. I then tried to unmount each volume of the disk through Terminal, just to be told that they were all 'already unmounted'.

So... I can't repair, and am I advised to erase. I can't erase because I can't unmount some volume, and I can't unmount because they're all already unmounted.

I simply want to format that external HD - it has nothing on it that needs to be saved. If I can then somehow save a few files from the Macbook, that'd be nice, but not the end of the world as I have copies of most of its contents. If you need any more details/logs/whatever, I can post them.

-----------

Details:

Late 2008 13" Macbook, OSX Mavericks, 250GB internal HD (broken laptop)

LaCie 500GB external HD (broken external HD)

Mid 2011 27" iMac, OSX Mavericks 10.9.3, 1TB (working desktop)

Posted on May 21, 2014 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Well, in the end I managed to rescue my external HD. In a terminal window, I ran:

diskutil list

which returned the disk ID for the HD as disk2.

Then:

ps -ax | grep disk2

checked all running processes to see if any were using disk2. This returned:

13699 ?? 11:52.83 /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/Contents/Resources/./fsck_hfs -y /dev/disk2s2

The first number is the process ID, so to stop this process and allow the disk to be unmounted, I ran:

kill 13699

After that, I was able to quite simply open up Disk Utility and erase the disk as normal from there.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2014 4:31 PM in response to robbiejh12

Well, in the end I managed to rescue my external HD. In a terminal window, I ran:

diskutil list

which returned the disk ID for the HD as disk2.

Then:

ps -ax | grep disk2

checked all running processes to see if any were using disk2. This returned:

13699 ?? 11:52.83 /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/Contents/Resources/./fsck_hfs -y /dev/disk2s2

The first number is the process ID, so to stop this process and allow the disk to be unmounted, I ran:

kill 13699

After that, I was able to quite simply open up Disk Utility and erase the disk as normal from there.

Apr 12, 2015 12:35 AM in response to robbiejh12

I had the same problem with my internal SSD drive, but i succeeded unmount the drive using command line diskutil with force option.

I shood have read your answer before, because i can't partition/erase the drive anymore, i have tried all format but i always get this error (in french) : "Le balayage des données du volume afin d'empêcher de futures recherches accidentelles a échoué".

User uploaded file

Do you know how, or with wich tools, i can partition this drive in order to reinstall a new version of Yosemite and getting back my last timemachine backup.

Thanks in advance

Can't erase, mount or unmount external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.