Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32gb ram not working

Is it possible to have a current (late 2013, version 14,2) iMac work stably with 32GB of RAM?

I think not, after reading for over an hr, the many complaints and posts on a multiplicity of forums. I, myself have spent about 8 hrs trying this, and so far the conclusions (subject to change based on new info, of course) are:

• the new iMac's seem to work well with most DDR3 SO-DIMMS, that are specced for 1600MHz and timing of 11-11-11
  • both 1.5V and 1.35V ram works ok
  • BUT do not use the full 32GB storage, even though that is what Apple advertises as max allowed

I, and others, have found for example that if you have 4x 8GB memory sticks, ANY 3 will work, but if you add the 4th then the iMac will seemingly randomly reboot. This can happen within a couple of hrs, and it doesn't matter if the Mac is stressed or idle, or even asleep.

What I find most dissapointing is that Apple has never, to my knowledge, admitted this problem, nor stated that they are working on a fix.

I have now put my iMac back to 24GB, using 2x 8GB and 2x 4GB memory sticks.

I know that people are unlikely to post that something IS working, but if anyone has an iMac 14,2 working on 32GB ram for over 48hrs without rebooting, I would love to hear from you.

Meanwhile I suggest, save yourself the headache and cost of trying to max out the ram, and risk loss of work by the reboots!

And have a nice day!

Paul

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iMac AppStore login fails, MBP ok

Posted on May 21, 2014 3:13 PM

50 replies

May 21, 2014 7:45 PM in response to RemekTek

Paul I suggest you go to Crucials web site and let them scan your computer and they will give you all of the options available for your Mac. As you probably already know Crucial in my opinion is one of the absolute best Ram you can buy for your Mac. although Other World Computing does also sell very good ram.

Here are bothe links for you to do a little research from.

http://www.crucial.com

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

Good Luck and Welcome to the Discussions.

Don

May 22, 2014 1:11 AM in response to Donald Morgan

By the way, I just ran the Crucial scan, and as expected it suggested 1600MHz CL11 1.35V DDR3 SODIMM. Nothing surprising in that.

Visiting the Crucial Forum, see:

There are others too. QED

May 22, 2014 4:49 AM in response to SeaPapp

I tried

• Corsair 1.35V MacRam (8GB sticks),
  • the original Apple supplied Hynix and
  • G.SKILL 1.5V

All 1600MHz and CL11.

I did not mix 1.5V and 1.35V, but the 1.5V worked fine and tested out ok, until the Mac rebooted. 😟

So now I had moved 2x 8GB GSKILL 1.5V sticks into my Mac Mini Server, where they are running perfectly. The iMac I put back to 2x 8GB Corsair + 2x 4GB Hynix both 1.35V. That is also stable.

32gb ram not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.