Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!!! Cannot transfer large amount of files to external HD

I'm trying to transfer about 24gb of photo's (in one shot) from my 2009 MBP runing Mavericks 10.9.3 to my external HD which is formated Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When I drag them over nothing happens.

I'm able to transfer 20 - 30 files at most in one shot but doing this will take me forever. Why will it no allow me to transfer all???

I was under the impression this can be done with the external HD being formatted the way it is.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 21, 2014 8:48 PM

1 reply

May 24, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Boss1216

Hi, saw your post on my profile well actually email saw it as notice in my mail, straightforward to the point. I have the same problem as yours but it's a bit different because you have to do a 24gb worth of files(photos) transferring. Did what they told me, what i did is i had an extra external drive which i formatted it to Fat32 format (also exFat is ok) so i can use it both on Mac Os and Windows Os. But there is a limit to that which is capped to 4gig per transfer. Transfer some of your files max to 4gig a part but i know it will take forever especially on a 2.0 bus port(usb). But there is an alternate solution to that which is the using of NTFS Paragaon which i haven't tried but you should look to it 🙂 Hope this helps. Sorry for late reply, been busy

HELP!!! Cannot transfer large amount of files to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.