Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wired USB keyboard is not recognised on my iMac

Over the last few months I am seeing my iMac freeze up and the only way out is to power down and power up. When I do this the wired USB keyboard is not recognised by the iMac. The only way I have found to get it working is to use the PRAM reset. That does not always work first time and it seems I need to disconnect the keyboard and run the PRAM reset and then connect the keyboard again. The easiest test is just to toggle the Caps lock key. It does not work when the keybaord is not recognised. I am not running much else on the USB bus. I have an external backup hard disk running through Time Machine and a printer. I am sometimes connecting an Arduino to the USB. However this last crash happened when the Arduino was disconnected.

Any ideas what is causing this and why it knocks out the wired keyboard.

For those who have not come across the PRAM reset then it is detailed here. http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11243

Fortunately the Bluetooth keyboard works otherwise the PRAM reset would be inaccessible.

I am running OS x 10.9.2

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 22, 2014 4:37 AM

11 replies

Jun 15, 2017 7:47 AM in response to Simon Allen 1089

I don't know that this will help the original poster, but it may help some people. I just purchased a new Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad, and I also had the 'dead in the water' effect where I plugged it in and my iMac didn't recognise its existence. I tried all the USB ports. I tried it on a different Mac. The mouse worked. The old keyboard I still had worked. I was fit to be tied. Called Apple tech support, and as I was talking to them, noticed on the upper right backside of the keyboard a truly tiny little switch. Turns out this is the on-off switch, and it was not switched on. So I switched it on, and 'shazaam!', the keyboard worked perfectly. Of course, had I read the cute little (literally) manual that came with the keyboard, it probably would have told me about the on-off switch. But I'm an Apple user. Who among us ever reads the manual? (Never used to have to.)

So object lesson: look carefully at your equipment to discover all of its 'hidden' features. And it can't hurt to read the manual, at least once.

Jun 15, 2017 3:55 PM in response to Simon Allen 1089

This might sound crazy for you... My 2012 iMac will not recognize my wired Apple keyboard (which I like since the keyboard has two extra USB hub, and numeric keys). I was told to use the "extension" cord came with the keyboard, or other USB extension cord, and then...my iMac recognize the keyboard.

Might worth a try at your leisure time..

good luck

Sam

Jun 23, 2014 1:20 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have tried different ports but that does not make any difference and the only way I have managed to get it to work again is the PRAM reset. I am not using an external hub.

The crash occurs when I use Apple's dictation. After about a minute when the text appears it stops and the machine locks up. It is then I reboot but find the wired keyboard inoperable.

I would quite like to have dictation working but now cannot risk it. It takes too long to get the system stable again.

Mar 4, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Simon Allen 1089

I have a iMac 21.5 Mid 2011, 2.7ghz running the latest OS. I have used the iMac wired keyboard A1243 since I purchased the iMac in October 2012, and I use the wired Apple Mouse. Recently, it quit recognizing the wired keyboard and mouse. It will run a Windows keyboard and an off brand mouse, but it won't recognize the Apple Products. It will also run the Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse. I have reset the PRAM twice. Also, the Sleep Mode no longer works properly. I always assumed that a wired keyboard and mouse were the best option for consistent performance and connectivity. When I select Sleep Mode, the iMac will reactivate by itself. I have seven months of Apple Care left. My confidence in my iMac has begun to decline.

Jan 20, 2016 6:55 PM in response to Simon Allen 1089

My wired keyboard and mouse will not work after a crash or the power going out. It keeps asking for the wireless keyboard and mouse/trackpad. I have these but prefer to use the wired keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is about 4 months old and my imac is about 2 years old. I've tried shutting off blue tooth. This is a recent problem and I'm wondering if Apple will address it sometime soon.

My wired USB keyboard is not recognised on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.