You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS names don't resolve properly

I have an AirPort Extreme I am using for my home router. No problems with it until I setup an unRaid NAS server for media. Now I always have problems with web based control of the unRaid because names won't resolve properly on my local network. Only IP addresses. I was able to work around this problem by editing the hosts files on the desktop computers on my network, but that's not possible with iPhones as far as I can tell. It looks like the real problem is the DNS server on the AirPort Extreme. Does anyone have any idea how I can correct this issue? I haven't been able to find any settings for the DNS server other than the WAN IP. Should I go ahead and spend a few bucks for Mavericks Server? I have a couple of machines I could run it on, just not sure how complicated it is to setup. I'm not an IT professional.

Posted on May 22, 2014 11:37 AM

16 replies

May 22, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Walter Starks

The AirPort Extreme will work with the DNS addresses that it has been told to use.

If you want to change them, position the cursor at the beginning of the first DNS address and type in the new number that you want to use. Do the same for the other DNS address field.

There are no other DNS settings in AirPort Utility. If the numbers are not working correctly, the only suggestion that I would have would be to reset the AirPort back to factory default settings and then set it up again.

User uploaded file

May 22, 2014 2:21 PM in response to Walter Starks

If you are using a URL that is web based then the router needs a function called NAT Loopback to work. Apple routers do not do NAT loopback and a lot of other routers don't as well. It has nothing to do with your DNS addresses.

A remote DNS will not work because it is a resolve to a private LAN address that you want. This is impossible.

You need a local name that can be resolved within your network.. rather than a public name.

May 22, 2014 2:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes. I understand this. The ip addresses work with no problem. I'll include an example of the problem. My unRaid server is named Brunnhilde. The address for the control webpage is http://brunnhilde:8080 with other control buttons on this page linked to subpages with addresses http://brunnhilde:8080/config. Anytime I try to use these pages I get an error that the page was not found. If I manually enter the address using the ip (http://10.0.1.20:8080) everything will work but I have to enter the ip manually for each page and there are quite a lot. I need to fix the problem with my dns server (AirPort Extreme) so that the network names will resolve properly without me having to manually enter the associated IP's in my browser window.

May 22, 2014 5:05 PM in response to Walter Starks

I meant NAT Loopback not DNS Loopback.

The local network cannot resolve brunnhilde so it has no hope of connecting without the explicit IP address.

To fix the problem you need a router that has NAT loopback.

Or you can edit the ARP table in some cases will work..

Apple does not include either function. The apple router is strictly domestic.

And indeed most routers for domestic market will not have what you need. So you are really looking for something that is more flexible or more business/industrial.

May 22, 2014 6:27 PM in response to Walter Starks

And if I used one of my computers (MacPro probably) running Mavericks Server as a router would that work?

I have not tried it.. usually a server will be able to handle a lot more complicated setup than a domestic router can.. the only issue is how much of the networking do you want the server to take over.

Or if I configure the unraid to use the name brunnhilde.local?

That should be added by default.

Do a netstat scan from a computer on the network. That will show what shows up and what doesn't. By default Apple routers should be adding local to anything they supply a dhcp address to.

You should not use fixed static IP in the unraid .. you should always use dhcp reservation in the router. Otherwise it is simply not going to appear or appear correctly in the arp table of the router.

I'm not sure what other options are supported by airport other than IP?

Sadly what you see is what there is.. there is no advanced access to the router cli or any such thing. Albeit I am working on it. I doubt you will like my solution. (soldering in a serial port). And a lot of the system commands are difficult to find and use. So this is not like a regular router at all.

Rather than use Mavericks Server.. why not invest in a better router.. you can keep using the AE for wireless and switch purposes.

May 22, 2014 7:27 PM in response to LaPastenague

I use dhcp reservations for all network devices. After doing some research it appears that the unraid uses netbios protocol, but I have been unable to find a way to enable this with airport utility.

What router would you recommend? would preffer it to be router only (no wifi). Easy control access too.

Message was edited by: Walter Starks

May 22, 2014 11:43 PM in response to Walter Starks

Walter Starks wrote:

netstat scan shows brunnhilde (no .local). IP set by AE using DHCP reservations.

Try adding .local to the name.. it might help the system to resolve the address.

What router would you recommend? would preffer it to be router only (no wifi). Easy control access too.

Buy something that takes 3rd party .. ie openwrt, dd-wrt etc. Don't worry about wireless .. it is irrelevant.. the cost of these units is so low you will generally find the ones with no wireless but comparable processor and ram cost more. It is mass market appeal of cheap routers that you want. You can just turn the wireless off.

TP-Link make some good routers WDR3600 is the cheapest reasonable router around. You can load it with openwrt, gargoyle, dd-wrt or probably a few others.

Yes, you will have to learn something.. to get them working but that is still possible.

There are cheap routers like Mikrotik which have an excellent Router OS, but you will need to learn it.

Ubiquiiti also make a decent router that has terrific flexibility.

Or look at your local ebay / second hand market for the low level enterprise type gear, Cisco Linksys, Netgear, Dlink all make good products for small business. What you need to do is commit the time to learn it.

May 23, 2014 5:20 AM in response to LaPastenague

I don't really have a problem with learning a new system, that's why I was thinking of Mavericks Server. Also the fact that it's only $20 helps too. Probably way more than I need though just for this. Isn't there a router app that I could install on one of my desktops to use it for a router? I have 2 that stay on all the time so they would be good candidates.

DNS names don't resolve properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.