Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro support 4k 60hz monitor?

I've just brought a Mac Pro and I am wondering if I can connect a 4k 60hz monitor to the Mac Pro. Since I know DisplayPort 1.2 can support 4k 60hz monitor, but not sure about the thunderbolt port. I assume it can but can't find any prove on the internet.

Does anyone here know if the Mac Pro can support a 4k 60hz monitor through one thunderbolt port?

Thanks a lot!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 22, 2014 2:20 PM

6 replies

May 23, 2014 9:14 AM in response to pxlw

I am currently typing this while my late 2013 Mac Pro is displaying on a 4K Asus 32 in. monitor (model PD321Q) at 60 Hz refresh rate. The monitor is connected to the new Mac Pro via a minidisplay port (same phsical connection size as a Thunderbolt connector) to the display port on the Asus monitor. I had to go into the menus on the monitor and set it to MST (multistream) to get the 60Hz refresh rate. Once I did that everything worked perfectly.

Tom

Jun 20, 2014 5:49 PM in response to pxlw

First, make sure that you have your Asus monitor connected to your MacPro via a Display port to Thunderbolt cable. HDMI 1.4 on the Mac Pro is not capable of 60 Hz refresh rate. Second, you will need to go into the menu of the Asus monitor and enable multistream in order to get a 60Hz refresh rate. Failure to do so will result in your getting only 30 Hz refresh rate. Why not then go to YouTube and play back any 4K video at the 2160p setting full screen on your Asus. Alternatively, if you have a free membership to Vimeo, you can do a search there for 4K videos, download them, and play theme with Quicktime player. Either of these will give you full screen 2160p video at 60 Hz.

Yes, the playback of 2160p video on my Asus from either 4K clips in YouTube or in Quicktime is smooth.

Tom

MacPro support 4k 60hz monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.