Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X reinstall remembered my wi-fi password

Something perplexed me today.

During an operating system reinstall of my 2012 MBPR, I did the following:

1. I first Erased my partition.
  2. Then I chose to install the OS.
  3. I was pleased to see that the 69 GB that used to be available now read something like 250.1GB

My Macbook proceeded to download the operating system from apple's server.

It prompted me for no wifi password and did not ask which wifi to use.

Yet... if I wiped my partition, how did it remember my wi-fi password.

When I decide to reinstall my OS, I expect that nothing from my previous life should exist.

What if I decided to give my laptop to another person? We certainly wouldn't want that information to persist?

Can someone help me clarify which part of this I don't fully understand?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 22, 2014 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2014 2:50 PM

As I understand your computer's system profile that contains that information is preserved through iCloud or by the servers when you do such a reinstallation. I've had the same experiences.

Note, that anyone who purchase the computer cannot restore the system you had installed unless they know your Apple ID and password. They will have to install an OS X they purchased using their Apple ID and password. That is why you have to completely wipe the drive before passing the computer on to another person.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Captainlonate

As I understand your computer's system profile that contains that information is preserved through iCloud or by the servers when you do such a reinstallation. I've had the same experiences.

Note, that anyone who purchase the computer cannot restore the system you had installed unless they know your Apple ID and password. They will have to install an OS X they purchased using their Apple ID and password. That is why you have to completely wipe the drive before passing the computer on to another person.

May 22, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Captainlonate

Every wireless network password you use with every Mac or iOS device you use is stored in iCloud and linked to your Apple ID. You can delete individual entries from System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Wi-Fi > Preferred Networks.

I don't know why Apple considers it a desirable feature, but yes you can disable it if you want. De-selecting iCloud Keychain in System Preferences > iCloud will do it.

If you don't want to remember preferred networks, you can disable that feature on each individual device.

Also, what else besides my Wi-fi accounts is stored on their servers?

Other than the very essence of your being, that's pretty much it.

OS X reinstall remembered my wi-fi password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.