Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an old Ricoh printer to a 2008 Duo Core Mac Pro via ethernet

I need some help on this one...We just switched Internet providers and my configurations have changed.

I have a Duo Core Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8. I had access to my old Ricoh AP2610N via Ethernet through a router (it has no wireless capability). Our new Internet access uses a wireless router connected to my Ethernet 2 port on the Mac Pro, so I was trying to connect my Ricoh directly to the Mac Pro via cable to my Ethernet 1 port.

I configured the Ethernet 1 port (it says "connected") using DHCP with manual address, 192.168.001.001 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I inserted no info on the router since I am not using one.

I have left the configuration the same as before on the printer, using TCP/IP, 192.168.001.002 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

The Mac Pro cannot access the printer and I can't help but wonder if I have screwed up the settings somehow. Can anyone more knowledgeable than I (which is most likely everyone on this forum) help me out?

Thanks in advance...

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 22, 2014 6:57 PM

8 replies

May 25, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the response Grant. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear...I cannot use my old router because it conflicts with my new service, and it there are no new Ethernet ports on the new hardware to connect my printer. That is why I am connecting the printer directly into the second ethernet port on my Mac Pro. Since one Ethernet port is devoted to my Internet service, I was hoping I could use the other port to run a cable directly to the Ricoh without a router or switch. If this isn't possible, I just need to know (but it seems like it should). Thanks again.

May 25, 2014 6:37 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks, but the tech guy that installed the new Internet service says the old router (wireless) will interfere with the new one, so I can't use both. I appreciate the response, though.

May 26, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Community User

I also have multiple "Routers" connected, but each one other than the one with the Internet connection had its settings changed (really easy to do) to turn it into an "Access point" instead of a full-blown Router. I use the Ethernet ports on the ones with extra Ethernet ports as well.

I also have two Gigabit Ethernet SWITCHES installed, and that speeds up Computer-to-Computer transfers.

That tech guy needs some better Training.

May 30, 2014 5:26 PM in response to Community User

When you set up a home network, you use Network Address Translation NAT, the umbrella term for having ONE Router controlling the IP Addresses on your local network. The setting is that ONE Router supplies [strictly local] IP Addresses via DHCP, using one of three common private IP ranges in the neighborhood of 192.168.xxx.yyy, 10.xxx.yyy.zzz, or 172.xxx.yyy.zzz.

Installing a different Vendor's Router will use a different default Router Address, which leaves your Printer with an unrelated Address, unable to talk to anybody else.

The other Routers are set NOT to provide IP Addresses via DHCP, sometimes by setting "Bridge mode".

If you give them all the same Network_name and password, they will combine into a single Network that can hand off your computer from Router-to-Router as you walk about the house.

This article describes THIS special case with Airport Base Stations:

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n)

This article describes more general cases for extending networks using a variety of Router connection methods:

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

Connecting an old Ricoh printer to a 2008 Duo Core Mac Pro via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.