Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Instruments Out Of Tune in Logic X

Hello fellow Logicheads:

Has anyone ever had the experience of recording using Logic's software bass, guitars and piano in Logic X and found upon playback that the piano is flat, or slightly out of tune?

It's weird. It's happened a couple of times. Perhaps it's a timbre issue that I don't understand.

Any thoughts on how to correct for this - e.g., retune the piano up w/ pitchshift?

Thanks!

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on May 22, 2014 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2014 2:03 AM

erniesfo wrote:

Hello fellow Logicheads:

Has anyone ever had the experience of recording using Logic's software bass, guitars and piano in Logic X and found upon playback that the piano is flat, or slightly out of tune?

No. But if I suspected this, I would try and pinpoint and quantify the problem using a Tuner on the suspected instruments. Then I would check if the global tuning (File>Project Settings>Tuning) is at Equal Temperament.

User uploaded file

If it is at equal temperament I would then check the Piano instrument and see if it is stretched tuned (this is a common way of tuning piano's, you can look it up, the internet knows it.) Not all piano's can be stretch tuned though.

Another scenario: you could be sending a (small) negative pitchbend value from your controller, this might detune tracks down. Make sure you have no "rogue" Pitchbend events (use Event List to check) and make sure the pitchwheel is correctly calibrated (always sending out 0 as the last value, when released).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2014 2:03 AM in response to erniesfo

erniesfo wrote:

Hello fellow Logicheads:

No. But if I suspected this, I would try and pinpoint and quantify the problem using a Tuner on the suspected instruments. Then I would check if the global tuning (File>Project Settings>Tuning) is at Equal Temperament.

User uploaded file

If it is at equal temperament I would then check the Piano instrument and see if it is stretched tuned (this is a common way of tuning piano's, you can look it up, the internet knows it.) Not all piano's can be stretch tuned though.

Another scenario: you could be sending a (small) negative pitchbend value from your controller, this might detune tracks down. Make sure you have no "rogue" Pitchbend events (use Event List to check) and make sure the pitchwheel is correctly calibrated (always sending out 0 as the last value, when released).

May 29, 2014 7:38 PM in response to Eriksimon

ErikSimon: Sorry it took so long to respond but I just had a chance to to test out your suggestions.

1. I checked the global tuning and it's fine

2. Then I metered/test tuned the individual instrument (Steinway Piano) and it was tuned fine too. It doesn't appear that the Steinway can be stretch-tuned, and I did not see a way to shift the pitch down using the keyboard I recorded with (Korg NanoKey2)

3. I went into the Korg Controller software and it seems that everything was fine there too - Sustain, Modulation, Pitch etc all normal values

The song is a dark piece where I used single notes on the piano with long sustain values (i.e., held the sustain pedal down for a long time so the notes hang with a long decay)

The Steinway Piano channel strip is untouched from initial load, i.e. > Channel EQ and Space Designer using "2.3 At The Opera 2.270s Stereo". It is NOT bussed to another Aux for additional processing. See more below.

I should note that many of the other instruments on the song are bussed to an Aux using/sharing a Stereo Designer with a "1.3s Soft Plate 1.224s Stereo" setting.

I also tried bussing the Piano to the reverb used by other instruments in the project and it doesn't change the effect, my impression.

It's not that the Piano sounds really "bad" - it's just that to my ears It sounds just ever so slightly "off" - like the sustain note just doesn't quite hold up and is flat at the end of the hold. But the tuner says no. I have pretty good ears - knock on wood. Listening again I still get the same impression, but I'm also thinking that my ears may be contrasting the sharp attack vs the long sustain and I'm hearing some kind of ghosting that only (to me) "Sounds" a little flat - kind of my own personal psychoacoustic sensation/phenomena.

I really appreciate the suggestions and the help. I learing additional parameters and where to look to investigate - always a good thing. Nice graphic w/ arrows!

As an experiment, would it be possible to bounce the MIDI Piano track to audio and re-pitch the audio to see if I can achieve some (perhaps mythical) different sound?

Just a thought.

Thanks again!

Animist08: I took your suggestion too and checked the instrument's assignment. Looks fine. Weird! Thanks!

May 29, 2014 11:53 PM in response to erniesfo

Don't forget that 1 real piano key plays two or three slightly different strings sounding in unison, with all the harmonics going on between them it is never a static sound, as it decays... Overtones continually change or slowly fade, which may indeed give a psycho-acoustic impression of 'flattening'.

You can achieve nice effects by subtly or less subtly altering the pitch of the audio, like here at 0'10" - you hear a short Speed Fade down.

Change the playback speed of a fade

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcpf7c0cd53

Speed fade at 0'10"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiKj0Z_Xnjc&feature=kp

Software Instruments Out Of Tune in Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.