Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A problem for the real gurus: Netflix ID is old defunct .mac address

Now here's peculiar problem. I have an Apple TV, and I subscribed to Netflix through the Apple TV interface a long time ago. Everything is functioning just fine, but now I want to expand my viewing options to other devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad) and I'm having an issue with the User ID/password.

The problem is that my Apple ID for the iTunes Store is an old .mac address that I stopped using for email 10 years ago, but kept as my Apple ID after the .mac service expired. Emails sent to that address go to purgatory. That Apple ID is also tied to iMessage, FaceTime, etc. and it's never been an issue since Apple allows a different contact email to be associated with the Apple ID. But when you sign up for Netflix through the Apple TV, you don't create a new password - authentication is done through the iTunes Store. Consequently, your Netflix account has no password for purposes of logging into their website or setting up Netflix on another device. I've heard that you can usually just click on "forgot password" and enter your Apple ID in the email address field and then you can add a password, but of course that generates an email sent to your Apple ID address, and I can't receive that email because of the .mac issue.

What to do? I emailed Netflix a while back but of course their famously helpful customer service never got back to me. And now you have to pay for Apple help. So you guys are my only hope.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 23, 2014 1:19 AM

18 replies

A problem for the real gurus: Netflix ID is old defunct .mac address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.