Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro (late 2013): Digital audio in - how?

I have upgraded to the the MacPro (late 2013) and now miss a digital audio in port. I can attach my D/A converter via TosLink to listen, but I cannot attach any digital audio input. This device only offers two audio out ports (digital and analog), any suggestions how to get the digital audio in? I have a Rosetta 200 A/D converter and would like to attach it via TosLink to the MacPro.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), 64GB RAM

Posted on May 23, 2014 5:24 AM

12 replies

May 23, 2014 11:47 AM in response to pboehi

An excellent question. Yes the late 2013 model Mac Pro( black cylinder, I think) is missing "conventional" digital audio input sockets. I've taken a look at your Rosetta 200 and it's a heck of a piece of work. not being much of expert, you'd be looking at a usb interface of some kind with toslink input. ART makes such a thing, so I'm told, maybe Tascam, Roland, or some no-name box from china. Price? maybe around $250--ish. If you don't need XLR inputs, those might work for you

JB

May 26, 2014 6:36 AM in response to pboehi

Obviously, Apple decided in its infinite wisdom that digital audio in via Toslink has to die, like the Floppy Disk and SCSI earlier in the course of the history of Apple. So future audio interfaces and DACs will have to offer Firewire or Thunderbolt connectivity to be able to interact with the new MacPro. As an Apple user, I am used to the "Apple giveth, Apple taketh away" behaviour of the company, so no problems there :-)

Thankfully, thanks to my own infinite wisdom, I opted for the Firewire card in the Rosetta 200 when I bought it (which I almost had forgotten about), so my problem is solved: I attach the DAC via Firewire now, which works fine.

On the other hand, there seem to be no standalone Toslink to USB audio in solutions on the market. Sure, there are music interfaces (as mentioned before) with much more extended functionality that could serve this purpose, but as a highend audio user, I strive for simple solutions with quality components.

MacPro (late 2013): Digital audio in - how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.