Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm looking for the best way to erase and reinstall my iMac after an invasion

I think my iMac is infected and could really use some help By Crysalice

iMac

Posted on May 23, 2014 8:12 AM

14 replies

May 23, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Csound1

Copy and paste files as I remember. I'm not sure how to setup the time machine with my passport. I think it needs to be reformatted first but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Then I just started copy and pasting out of frustration.

I found another thread that may help me on the passport and time machine. I'm going to try that.

May 23, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Crysalice

You should immediately begin using Time Machine to backup your computer to the EHD. Please follow Apple's instructions on how to setup and use Time Machine, they are very easy to follow:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427 click where it says Setting Up Time Machine using an External Drive for instructions. This is the default method for backing up a Mac, it's simple, easy and normally very reliable.

May 23, 2014 9:50 AM in response to Crysalice

OK.

Go to System Preferences>Time Machine and turn it on, you'll get a warning that the drive will be erased, that's fine. A backup will start fairly quickly but it will take a long time until it is done, until then we can't proceed.

In Time Machine there are 3 controls that will or may be needed, if the drive is not automatically chosen press the Select Backup Disk button and select it, check the Show Time Machine in Menu Bar box and turn it on.

User uploaded file

This will result (in a while) in a complete backup of your Mac as it now is, from it we can selectively bring your files back while preserving the new clean system you're going to be installing 🙂

I'm looking for the best way to erase and reinstall my iMac after an invasion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.