Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Received message about "uncertified cable" when plugging phone in to Apple supplied cable

Connected my iPhone 5 to my iMac via Apple supplied cable, connected to my keyboard. Received message stating the cable was "not certified and could damage device if used" or words close to that ...

This is one of the Lightning cables I have purchased from Apple, used with this phone in this configuration with no prior issues.

I noticed this morning that the battery had not charged overnight, was dangerously low. Phone still showed in iTunes, was able to sync.

Charged phone using my iPad wall adapter, phone is accepting charge. Plugged it back into the iMac, no error message.

A bit confused by this.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 23, 2014 8:17 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2014 7:14 AM in response to bobfromoneida

Howdy Bob,

It sounds like there is an intermittent issue with the USB adapter cable or the iPhone. Take a look at the articles linked below, they will provide insight and troubleshooting suggestions that should help resolve the issue.

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1476

Connect your device to a USB port on your computer (not an external keyboard) using the USB cable that came with the device. Your computer must be on.

Some third-party cables and accessories that aren't Apple certified, or are FireWire equipped, may not charge your device properly. If you see either of the alerts below, the device may not charge. Try another cable or accessory.

• "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."
  • "This accessory is not supported by this device."

If either of these alerts appear and nothing is connected to the dock connector, make sure that the dock connector is free of debris.

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2802

Accessory not working

See About iPhone, iPad, and iPod accessories and Troubleshooting iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch accessoriesfor troubleshooting information.

My issue is still not resolved. What do I do next?

Contact Apple Support.

-Jason

Received message about "uncertified cable" when plugging phone in to Apple supplied cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.