Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV has black screen after using Airplay

I recently purchased a new Apple TV (ATV).The ATV is connected to a Yamaha receiver via HDMI. The receiver is connected to an LG TV via HDMI.

Frequently, it is the case that I will come home, turn on the TV and receiver, and then press a button on the ATV's remote to "wake it up"; the TV screen will just remain a black/blank image.

I can tell that the ATV has come out of "sleep mode" as I can hear the ATV menu sounds as I use the ATV's remote and the white light on the unit is lit.

I believe that the problem is related to using the device for Airplay because the black-sreen issue can be resolved if turn on my iPhone, open the settings and toggle Airplay *on* and then *off* again. As soon as I do this, the ATV menu appears on the TV screen.

It is as though the ATV was still in "Airplay mode" but was rendering a black screen because no Airplay content was being streamed, and then when I toggle Airplay on and off on my iPhone, it "jogs" the ATV back into its proper state.

Any suggestions? Updates? Others with the same problem? Should I return this ATV for a replacement before the 30 days are up?

Thanks,

Matt

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 23, 2014 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2014 11:35 AM

Hi WarBringer,

If you are having issues with your Apple TV such as you describe, you may want to check out the troubleshooting steps described in this article -

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5148

Specifically under -

Your TV picture is completely black or has other quality issues such as static or blurry video

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2014 11:35 AM in response to WarBringer

Hi WarBringer,

If you are having issues with your Apple TV such as you describe, you may want to check out the troubleshooting steps described in this article -

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting video issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5148

Specifically under -

Your TV picture is completely black or has other quality issues such as static or blurry video

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Apple TV has black screen after using Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.