You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the decimal separator from a comma to a dot in numbers? I upload my bank statements into numbers and all contain dots. Numbers does not understand the dots.

Hi,

I am a recent convert from Exell to Numbers.

I have downloaded my bank statements to Numbers. The bank statement uses dots as decimal separators, whilst the Numbers default is a comma.

I need to change the Numbers format to dot to avoid having to manually change all in the downloaded spreadsheet.

This spreadsheet also includes my currency as R (ZAR Rands), so either need to remove these or get Numbers to understand it, again to avoid having to remove/change all manually.

Would really appreciate your help.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 24, 2014 4:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 12:41 PM

I had the same problem, and I noticed there are two ways to set region format for Numbers: via the iCloud website settings and in Numbers for Mac. The first one will change the overall region format for iCloud, but if your Numbers file still doesn't show the correct punctuation, this is how I solved. In Numbers for Mac, go to File > Advanced > Language & Region... This way I discovered that it is (still) not possible to set a specific region format if the file is shared under the "collaboration" formula. To "unlock" the region format you need to close all the collaborations for that specific file. This way, you'll be able to set the desired region format.

Hope this helps!

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2017 12:41 PM in response to TeanafromCapeTown

I had the same problem, and I noticed there are two ways to set region format for Numbers: via the iCloud website settings and in Numbers for Mac. The first one will change the overall region format for iCloud, but if your Numbers file still doesn't show the correct punctuation, this is how I solved. In Numbers for Mac, go to File > Advanced > Language & Region... This way I discovered that it is (still) not possible to set a specific region format if the file is shared under the "collaboration" formula. To "unlock" the region format you need to close all the collaborations for that specific file. This way, you'll be able to set the desired region format.

Hope this helps!

How do I change the decimal separator from a comma to a dot in numbers? I upload my bank statements into numbers and all contain dots. Numbers does not understand the dots.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.